eight

C H A P T E R E I G H T

☆☆☆

The hockey season had commenced a few weeks back and our school team had an unbeatable streak. It felt amazing to walk away from each match with a win next to our names and this week, I hoped we would achieve the same victory.

One of the large private club recruiters were coming to our game today, so we had to do our best. I was adamant on getting into a club so it could make national-team entry easier.

I was confident that we'd accomplish what we set out to do because whenever our team stepped out in the field because magic happened between the six of us.

As usual, we were excused from our last class twenty minutes before the final bell on Friday to change into our uniforms.

Our opponents were a team from a private school a few kilometres away and although Coach told us to be weary of them because they were quite formidable, I wasn't scared of them. We would win.

My suspicions were proven right when ninety minutes later, our team scored the winning goal. I was high on the feeling of euphoria from the moment we left the field and on my way home.

Coach had said that it was our best game yet and I was inclined to agree with her. If I kept up at it, then I my chances of getting into one of those clubs would be a definite possibility.

Today was one of those hot, sticky afternoons that were almost too unbearable to endure. As soon as I got home, I charged up the stairs and yanked my hot, smelly uniform into the laundry hamper.

I wore my favourite purple bikini, grabbed a towel and sunscreen and headed downstairs to the swimming pool. It had been a while since we'd use the pool, but luckily it had been cleaned last week.

The water was cold and pleasant on my skin and for a while, I floated on my back and stared up at the sky. A foliage of clouds had begun to form and soon there'd be some much needed shade.

I swam a couple of laps until my entire body had been immersed in water and I was as cool as a cucumber.

I got out soon after and went straight to my towel. I dried my body off as best as I could and bunched my hair into some sort of almost-bun and immediately, the strong smell of chlorine on hair stung my nose.

I loved swimming but I hated the chlorine smell that clung to my swimsuit and hair.

Once I was satisfied with my bodily dryness, I entered the house.

The smell of food cooking on the stove was the first thing that hit my senses. My dad hadn't told me he was coming home early today and I certainly didn't hear him coming in...

I made my way to the kitchen in a few short paces. Anna was bent over a large pot, stirring the contents with a wooden spoon. She was still in her dishevelled work attire.

"My dad didn't tell me you were coming over," I said.

Anna's shoulders tensed and she turned around, "I didn't hear you coming in, Paiten," she said with a nervous chuckle.

I thought that it was a cute sound.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"Were you swimming?" she asked and her eyes raked over my body.

I nodded, "yeah."

Anna's eyes lingered on my body far much longer than was necessary and I felt... hot under her gaze. She blinked furiously and snapped her brown eyes back to my face and licked her lips.