The Lonesome Struggle

The wind howled outside the small cottage and thunder boomed through the sky, it caused the windows to shake as lightning lit up the inside of the home.

Inside, Elanor stood by the window clutching her stomach. She stared out the window with a heavy gaze of guilt, deep down she felt like a horrible mother already. Her child had not even been born and she had already promised her off to marriage for some sacred prize.

Yes, she had agreed to the bargain.

Although some months had passed since Lorik's visit and she had plenty of time for decision to way on her mind. It was now that her heart was heavy with sudden grief, how would she explain this all to her daughter?, How could a mother explain such a situation.

The poor woman's face contorted with pain and her body shuddered as a sharp pain rushed through her belly, a cry broke free from her lips as she fell against the wall. Slowly her body lowered to the ground and she quickly realized the water underneath of her.

Elanor's baby was coming and not one soul was there to help her deliver it, she would never ask the town folk for help. Worry filled the witch's head as she realized the many things that could go wrong, she would be to busy trying to push the new life out and focusing on keeping herself from passing out.

Suddenly a loud clang filled the small cottage, the harsh wind had caused one of the windows to burst open. Small droplets of rain and wet leaves flew into the home, meanwhile Elanor leaned her head against the wall as she cried out."Please!, I have not done much wrong in my life and now I am to be a mother, I cannot do this all alone!"

Elanor's plea was carried through the window and into the woods, though the cottage was surrounded by nothing but tree's. One in particular heard hear, the grandmother oak listened to the new mothers cry for help and instantly pulled her roots from the ground. It had been ages since she left her spot but she couldn't deny her excitement, she had witnessed her saplings fill theses acres with life but it had been centuries since she witnessed a baby being born.

A swirl of leaves circled Grandmother Oak, she went from a mighty tree to a soft spirit of the woods. Her feet danced against the soft soil as she rushed towards the cottage, as she got closer she could hear the witch crying out in agony.

The woodland spirit bustled into the cottage and rushed over to the witch, she knelt in front of the woman and smiled with excitement."It's ok young one, just one more push and this little bundle will be here."

Elanor gave a firm nod of her head and shut her eyes, her dark curls matted against her sweaty forehead and her cheeks flushed red. Just as she breathed in a deep breath a small cry filled the room, the woodland spirit leaned down and scooped up the small baby."Oh my...how beautiful." She whispered.

Without hesitation the woodland spirit handed the baby over and smiled as she watched them both.

Elanor held the baby close to her chest and kissed her forehead, the baby let out a small whine as she opened her eyes. The witch gasped in surprise as she stared into the bright green cat eye gaze of her daughter."My sweet daughter, I shall name you Emerald. For the beautiful gaze of your eyes reminds me of thousands of glittering emerald stones in the sun, I love you so much already...I'm so sorry." Elanor wept.

Grandmother Oak tilted her head to the side."Young one why do you weep over your newborn child?, Are you not happy with her arrival?" She questioned.

Elanor looked down at her wiggly new born baby and shed a few tears."I've bound my daughter to an arranged marriage already, an agreement I've complied with just for a silly prize. What kind of mother does that make me?"

Grandmother Oak passed her hand over the witch's hair to soothe her worries."Motherhood is not easy, if it were so then a simple fool could handle a child, raise it to be a good person and teach it proper values. Every mother makes some mistakes along the way, but if you raise this baby girl with a heart full of love and show her nothing but honesty. I'm sure she will understand why you made the agreement." She explained.

Emerald squirmed in her mother's arms and wrapped her tiny fingers around a lock of her hair, she let out a small squeal as if to say she agreed with the old spirits wise words.