Chapter Ten: Smile And Do Your Duty.

Trying to sleep with so much weighing on your mind is impossible, even though your eyes may begin to droop and your head begins to fall your mind still finds a way to run. That happened for most of the night, I would start to drift off but be brought back into my hellish reality.

When morning arrived I was more then grateful, I pulled my tired body out of bed and slid on one of the silk robes Numissa had gotten for me. As I walked towards the door I caught a glimpse of my reflection and flinched in response, I had to admit I looked terrible. My dark hair was nothing but a tangled mess and dark circles rested underneath my eyes, I almost looked like a scary witch.

Sighing to myself in disappointment I walked out of my room and ventured to the dining hall where I found the three royals. Numissa jumped out of her seat once she caught sight of me, her beaming attitude and bright smile made my stomach churn with bitterness. She clasped her hands together as she let out a long sigh."Your finally awake!, I was so worried about you but Lorik informed me you were doing fine and I wanted to come visit you last night but I figured you needed your rest. Now that your awake though I have some delightful news, some of our family have heard about the engagement and are coming to dinner tonight, it will be so lovely!" She chirped excitedly.

A dinner to celebrate my arranged engagement to Cassius, of course that's exactly what I needed right now. I couldn't muster up the same enthusiasm Numissa shared with me but I could force a smile onto my face."A dinner sounds absolutely lovely Numissa and I'm sure you'll have the best attire picked out for me, we'll both look stunning." I said.

Her bright blue eyes widened in realization and she spun around."That reminds me!, Cassius come with me at once, I know for a fact that you don't own any decent attire and it would be rude if you allowed yourself to look dreadful around Emerald." She chided in a motherly tone.

Glancing at Cassius I watched out of the corner of my eye as he set his cup down and dabbed his mouth with a napkin before getting up from the table."Your right mother, I would be treating my soon to be bride with a great disrespect if I showed up looking like a dirty rag. I give you my full permission to pick my clothes and dress me." He said while looking directly at me.

I shifted uncomfortably underneath his gaze and ran my hand across the back of my neck, Numissa on the other hand nearly hyperventilated from excitement. She latched herself onto her son and dragged him out of the dining room all while chatting about different fabrics, certain shades and even mentioned hair cutting.

Shaking my head I took a seat the dining table and helped myself to the buffet laid out before me, I piled some fruit onto my plate and poured myself a cup of steaming hot tea. As I picked up the fork to pierce a grape Lorik began talking." Thank you for being kind to my wife Emerald, I know your none to happy about this dinner and your still upset with Cassius. I really can't blame you for the worries you share about my son, he does have a rocky reputation."

Leaning back in his chair he folded his hands on his lap and sighed."This dinner is a risk for all of us, no one in my family can find out about the arranged marriage, if they do then they'll begin questioning my leadership and they will take Scalefire from me. Plus my son has made several enemies among my family, I know your not on good terms with him but you must act like a happy couple and keep your guard up." He sated in a worried tone.

Setting my fork down on the table I turned my attention to him and bowed my head towards him in understanding."Lorik I promise you nothing will happen to Cassius and no one will find out about the arrangement, this is the entire reason I'm even here, to protect your son."

Lorik rested his hand against his forehead and frowned, his gaze traveled downwards and I could see the trouble brewing within them."I'm strong Emerald, I've battled enemy's, maintained a kingdom and managed to allow myself a family but I'm getting older. Cassius never listens to me and you see how careless he can be, I love my son dearly but I know how easily he can be influenced and it worries me daily. I know your not happy to be here but your presence eases my worries, I know you'll take care of him." He said softly.

Standing from my chair I took a deep breath and turned to him."For some reason everyone has forgotten that this is an arranged marriage, Cassius is involved with Katia and many other girls. The only reason I'm still here is because I'm left to deal with my mother's bidding and truthfully I'm only here to protect your careless son, who will end up running this kingdom into the ground one day because you do nothing but pamper his every need." I said in distaste.

Lorik looked up at me with apologetic eyes and gave me a guilt smile."Isn't that what I'm supposed to do? As a parent shouldn't I make sure my son is happy and content, I may not agree with his ways but at least I know he's not unhappy in this world."

I shrugged my shoulders in response and turned away from him, my mother fed me nothing but lies for most of my life and sold me into marriage like I was a worthless possession. I guess you could say I didn't have much happiness, how could I?

A/N: No no it's not a short chapter and no it doesn't end here, I'm splitting this into two chapters and so the next will be a continuation of this one. Where the infamous dinner will take place!