Chapter Five

"You're never going to amount to anything." He growled at me, baring his teeth and taking a step forward.

"You'll just end up being a selfish bitch like your mother." He gritted his teeth as he reached me, leaning into my face so the rancid stench of his breath fanned across my face, making me wince openly.

He pulled out a knife and held it above me, threatening me. I tried to move, to scream, to cry; but I couldn't. I was locked into position with the intimidating man about to end my life.

A lone tear slid down my frozen cheek as he raised the knife.

This is the end, I thought. I won't even live to graduate high school.

Smiling wickedly, showing off his yellowing teeth, he slammed the knife down and-

My eyes flew open, my heart racing a mile a minute. It was just a dream, just a dream.

I glanced around the room warily, still caught up in the dream. After assuring myself that I was alone, I sat up shakily. The clock on my bedside table flashed brightly, reading three in the morning.

"Hello?" I shivered, my voice cracking. 

A tree smacked against the window, gaining my attention. I nearly screamed, but caught myself before I did. I shook my head at myself. I shouldn't be scared; I was a big girl. 

I whipped the covers away from my body and flung my legs off the side of the bed, standing up quickly. I picked up a small blanket and wrapped it around myself, the simple gesture giving me a false sense of security. 

I walked through the deserted hallway, smiling as soft snores penetrated through Faun's slightly cracked door. 

I waddled into the kitchen, trying not to trip over the long blanket that was trailing behind me. I opened the fridge door, searching for the chocolate milk. I grinned like a child as I found it, pulling it out and placing it on the kitchen table before going to get a glass. 

I groaned as I noticed that someone put my cup- my smiley face cup- on the top shelf, out of my reach by a few inches. 

With a determined look on my face, I dropped the blanket. I crawled onto the island and got on my knees, shouting in joy as I realized I would definitely be able to reach my cup now. I reached up, about to grab the cup.

"What are you doing?" A voice whispered in my ear. 

I screamed aloud, jumping and hitting my head against the corner of the cupboard. My foot slipped off the counter and I fell, taking the cup with me.

Warm, strong arms caught me, the owner of them chuckling. My smiley face glass landed right on my abdomen. My saviour gently set me down on the ground once I had safely placed the cup on the counter.

I examined the man's face, my eyes widening as I recognized him as Raven, Oliver's trainee. 

"What the hell are you doing here?!"

Raven rolled his eyes and leaned against the counter, seeming so much more at ease than I was. 

"Faun didn't tell you? We're staying here until Oliver can get his shit together."

I froze immediately, shivers wracking my body. I did not like sharing my personal space.

"No," I whispered, softly, before pacing back and forth in front of the refrigerator.

"No." I repeated, more sternly this time. Faun would never put me in the position where I would have to share my home with one of her exes and a stranger- and a boy! I wasn't able to speak without a stutter to girls, let alone males!

I stopped suddenly and turned to glare at Raven who was still leaning against the counter. 

He raised an eyebrow at me, obviously questioning why I was angry. 

"Babe, please. I know you can't be that angry. I mean, look at me," He gestured with his hand down his pyjama clad body, "Any normal girl would be thrilled to have me here."

My glare got a thousand times worse. If I wasn't so mad, I would probably laugh at the way I must look right now- dressed in pyjamas with my face wrinkled up in anger, my eyes squinted. It was honestly a silly reason for me to be so furiated over a suggestive comment, but it was the middle of the night and I enjoyed my sleep. Being deprived of it didn't go down well in my books.

Without taking the time to think through it, I ran full speed at Raven, tackling him to the floor.

~

Author's Note:

I'm so sorry for the late upload, but I'm a lazy writer. To be honest, when you reached your goal, I didn't even have a word written down for this chapter, thus why it's so short.

luv u

Once again, I apologize for the short chapter. I feel horrible about how short it actually is.

Questions and (fake) Answers:

Why is Kristen having nightmares?

She once walked in a nursing home for nudists.

What kind of "shit" does Oliver need to pull together?

pfft, he has nothing wrong. this is just an excuse for Kristen and Raven can hook up (;

Why did Kristen tackle Raven?

He was just too irresistable. With the aroma of his freshly sleep-sweaty body and morning breath, I think the better question to ask would be who wouldn't jump his bones?

~

goal for this chapter is 100 votes and 50 comments. totally unreasonable, but i want you to push hard and give me at least a couple of weeks to write the next chapter. 

no matter what, when you reach this goal, I will post chapter six. even if I only have two words written, it'll be posted.