bonus chapter

- BONUS CHAPTER -
prelude >> choices from the devil

KATHY'S P.O.V

Date - February 27
Time - 15:00
Location - New Orleans

The bell rang loudly through the corridors, a sign for our dismissal. I was in my P.E class, finishing our two thousand meter run around the gym.

We were all drenched in sweat, swaying around with the feeling of lead feet and stiff thighs as we all wobbled away into the locker room, eager to change.

"Kathy Devin?!" the coach yelled my name loudly at the sweaty bodies as I turned my head around to meet his gaze.

"We need to talk," he said before the rest of the students left for the locker rooms, leaving their curious gazes behind.

My mind was spinning wildly. What did I do wrong? I didn't even stop for a second during that run, much less walk. My stomach and thighs were wheezing with pain, but I limped towards him, standing straight.

The coach was a former navy, so he had very high standards when it comes to training. The P.E lessons he gave us were intense, and he would shout at us if we didn't stand in proper salute. He must have had a bad history during the wars.

"Yes, Coach?" I asked, feeling the sweat bead down my face.

"Sit," he said as he gestured towards the benches. His words were all a command, so I obliged to his order and sat down, feeling relieved from the pain.

He sat down next to me, his clipboard in hand. "Do you know why I had summoned you?" he asked briskly.

"No, sir," I replied formally.

"You know that I am a former navy," he started, which made me confused. Everyone knows he's a former navy, why would he ask me that?

"Y-yes, sir," I answered, confused and shocked by his question.

"Do you know which division I was in?" he asked again.

"No, sir," I replied, millions of thoughts passing through my head.

He looked at me straight in the eyes with those dark blue eyes that pierced souls. He had no emotion behind them, just plain assertion. "I was in the division that sank."

Confusion was starting to overwhelm me. Again, I thought, why was he telling me all of this?

"What does that mean, sir?" I asked in a whisper, fearing the worst as he caressed my blonde hair which was pulled up in a ponytail.

"You look so much like her, you know that?" he said with slight tenderness that sent chills down my back. I shook my head to get his hand off of my hair, but all of a sudden he pulled it with immense force, causing me to scream out in pain. He placed a hand over my mouth to silence me, and twisted my hair to make me face him.

The face he gave me was so vicious, so savage that I could feel the fear racing through me, my heart rising in hysteria as I made a move to get up, but again he pulled me back down, and this time he twisted my arm behind my back painfully, causing me to cry a muffled sob.