ten >> gone

NATALIA'S P.O.V.

Date - March 25th
Time - 11:55
Location - Unknown Farm

I had never felt this happy for a long time.

It's really happening, it's all happening.

He started pointing off to a car inside the barn when a thought occurred in my head: How did he find me?

"How did you find me?" I asked, and all of a sudden every muscle in his body twitched.

A sunken feeling dug inside of me. Something's wrong.

He turned around, gave me a serious face, and said, "I could tell you the truth right? Because the truth can be heavy, but it's the truth."

I gulped and bit down my lip to prevent me from sobbing once more. Something was definitely not right.

He pointed at the stray road, where the wreckage of the two vehicles and the bodies of the dead lie helplessly on the ground. "You've read about the accident. I couldn't approach you before, because I didn't know where you were among the traffic, so I got the boy, Cole Devin, to find you. I needed him to find you quickly, so I made him some consequences. If the girl he chooses is wrong, she dies. If he fails to find you and retrieve you, he dies. He failed, but I found you, so that's all that matters now."

I felt my eyes widen and my fingertips grow cold. I was right all along, he killed all those people.

He searched my face, and I quickly nodded. "Wow," was all I could say without showing him my real feelings.

"I know," he said, before turning around and walked towards the car, blabbering about on the destinations that we could go to.

I need to get out, I thought frantically, searching for an idea. He's not sane.

"Come on Nat!" he called out for me. I unfroze and jogged towards him, feeling so fearful and wide-eyed.

He opened the car door for me, and I slipped inside.

He went to the other side and opened his door, putting the Time Desistor on the dashboard before slipping himself in. He retrieved the small device kindly, as if it was a precious stone, and placed it on the compartment place that was covered in velvet.

He closed the compartment door and slid the seat belt into the buckle, giving me a glance before reaching out to put the ignition key into its hole.

"Say, can I have a look at that Time device thingy?" I asked perkily, earning an odd look from him.

"Why?" he asked, looking slightly guarded.

"Oh, come on!" I played with him, trying to sound casual. "I want to see the thing that helped us get to spend time together. Please, dad?"

Being called dad must have melted his icy heart a bit. He nodded and opened the compartment door, took out the device gingerly and placed it in my cupped hands.

It wasn't that heavy, the device, nor was it light. It was sharp, you can say, with all the weird protruding bolts and screws surrounding the whole body, the antennas poking out like horns in a goat. I saw the timer counting down slowly, but it all still seemed so far away. There were a few buttons, all in which had a different symbol or shape etched on it.

"It's called a Time Desistor, mind you," he said, before pointing into a button just beside the ticking timer. "That's the start button, which means at any command it is given, it will start doing it."

He pointed to the next, a smooth, clean, arrowed button facing both ways. "Those are the time settings. Up to add, down to decrease."

He pointed at the gold button, engraved with a sort of hexagon. "That button is for if you want things to be back to normal."