<1. Doesn't Hurt to Believe>

<<Edited>>

I peer up at the black expanse overhead through the thick translucent walls over me

I peer up at the black expanse overhead through the thick translucent walls over me. These walls are all that lies between us and the air outside. They block out the gases outside, which, if inhaled directly, can lead immediately to death. The oxygen regulators inside the cabins are all that keep us alive.

As usual, I wonder if any other planets host life, just like ours or maybe even different creatures in different conditions.

A siren starts ringing loudly all of a sudden, making me jump. Well, I am a little paranoid. Chuck that, I'm quite paranoid.

"Zing? Come on, it's time!" I yell, remembering that the siren is supposed to be our cue to report.

Just like he always does, Zing appears soundlessly out of nowhere that I know and winds up by my side.

"Ready to go, Fi?"

I roll my eyes. It's always me calling him, him coming, and then asking me if I'm ready. Why would he think I'd call him if I wasn't ready?

Not bothering to respond, I just walk to the exit and nearly barge outside, nearly because Zing yanks me back by my collar.

"Idiot, who's not wearing an oxygen tank? The answer rhymes with gala," he asks me.

"Oh, right!" I say, slapping my forehead.

I keep forgetting to take my oxygen tank with me when I go outside, even though I've been wearing it on my own since I've been able to walk. Zing tosses me my tank and I reach out to catch it in the last second.

"How many times will you forget it, Fi?" he tells me, annoyed.

I shrug and say, "That is gonna be the death of me."

He stares at me, unappreciative of my punny joke, making me impulsively add, "Literally."

It is a true fact, though. There's no oxygen in the chambers, so if anyone forgets their tank, they're as good as gone.

I put my tank into place and walk out into the corridors, Zing following me. The corridors are all devoid of any gases and have artificial gravity to keep us rooted to the floor.

We are supposed to go to an assembly point where the Head of Space Research is going to announce those shortlisted for the new space exploration scheme for which Zing and I applied. We follow the route map we were given when we registered, and reach the point in a couple of minutes.

Upon reaching, we are directed into a cabin. Taking off our tanks when we enter, we stand by the back of the cabin while most of our contemporaries crowd around the front.

Soon, the Head of Space Research, who introduces himself as Wick Zippin, walks in and talks about the scheme. He flicks out a sheet and reads out the shortlisted pairs who applied.