9. You Know Me

"Arduch to Zorg. Can you hear us?" Zing says into the communicator, making me roll my eye.

"What?" he asks me.

"Zing, they know it's us!! We're the only ones having the exact same communicator at the exact same frequency they do!!" I mumble, exasperated.

"But-" Zing's reply is cut off by a burst of static from the communicator followed by a voice, "Zorg to Arduch. Are you doing good?"

"Yes, we are. That was a perfect takeoff!!" Zing says.

"Yes, we all saw. Beautiful, Fila, beautiful!!"

That's gotta be Wick Zippin, who actually insisted I call him Wick when I called him Zippin.

I can imagine him applauding (and maybe even hooting!!) back in Zorg...

 I say, "Who said I couldn't fly, Wick??"

"Not me!!" Wick responds.

"I did. Sorry, Fila!!" Zing tells me.

"About time!!" I hear Ulso's voice and smile. I can imagine them all back in Zorg, just standing by the communicator in the DSR cabin and watching us until they can't anymore and probably even after that, wondering about us. I smile at this.

"We just wanted to make sure you're doing good?" Wick says.

"Completely. Thank you." I say. That thank you is so much more than for just checking up on us.

Wick seems to understand. "You don't have to, Fila."

"I'm not joking, Wick. I need to."

"We need to." Zing joins in.

"Yes, we." I add.

"So do good. Communicate with us regularly." Wick says.

"We will." says Zing.

Another burst of static, and the voice goes silent.

Zing and I talk about the most random things for some time until an idea flashes in my head.

"Zing, why don't we share all knowledge we have so we can mana..." I trail off when I realize what I implied.

"Manage without the other?" says Zing.

I nod my head in response, not trusting my voice not to give into my rising feelings of hysteria.

"Yes, we probably ought to." Zing agrees. I peek a look at him to see his face is crestfallen.

"Zing..."

"No, you're right, Fi, we need to. I bet you have more to teach me!!"

I smile. It's only Zing who can lighten my mood even in the face of such a potentially terrible situation.