2. Headed Our Way

"Fila!" her scream rings out, every echo fading in volume but still just as painful.

I try to reach for her, but every time I do, Zing keeps pulling me back.

"Zing, let me go! We have to help her!" I yell, but Zing just shakes his head.

I watch back helplessly as the life drains out of her brown eyes glazed over.

"NO!!" I yell, sitting up.

I look around and see I'm in our cabin, and nothing seems torn apart.

Oh, that was a dream...

"Fi-" Zing springs up by my side, making me yell even more.

"Why were you yelling??" he asks me after I calm down.

"Bad dream."

"Well, it's nearly waking time anyway, and we have to head out to the DSR, so get up and get ready..." he says and walks away.

He's right; today is the day the four shortlisted pairs become two.

I might as well get ready and get pumped up now...

I get up and go to the cleaning chamber in our cabin.

I strip and stand still as the jets of cleansing fluid cover my body in foam and then the jets of highly purified hydrogen oxide clean out the fluid.

Then I go out and don my outfit.

These are specialised outfits, made to remain untorn even after several uses

Each Zorgian is provided with two such outfits.

We've grown up with scarcity of materials staring right in our face, all of us.

This is all we have...

I walk out to main assemblance point, dragging my oxygen tank along with me.

Spotting Zing, I sprint up to him.

We then head out to the nutritional cabin where we're each given our share of nutritional blocks.

These blocks have all the nutrients we need, which are synthesised in the nutritional production cabins.

Popping the blocks into my mouth, I wait for Zing to finish up.

We then put our tanks into place and head out to the Department of Space Research cabin.

When we reach there, we discover we are the first to arrive.

We stand out by the nearest assembly point until everyone shows up.

Wick Zippin summons us to come inside the cabin.

We are informed of the tests set for us, which will determine which two pairs will be deemed least suitable to be selected.