Chapter 9:

"Can you believe that two people broke out of the fence yesterday?"

The trio was hearing this line for what felt like the umpteenth time from various people, ever since they had stepped foot inside the school.

"We're so famous here!" Nelson whispered.

To Clary, the school hallway felt like a checker board, what with its black and white tiles. And the humans- they were the pieces. Like everyone was a part of some complicated game. She had to make her moves wisely, or it was game over for her.

"Sup, Austin?"

Clary whipped her head to Austin, to find a teenage boy, who had his arm slung over Austin's shoulder, looking straight at her. The boy tilted his head in the girl's direction and asked Austin:

"Who's the new chick?"

"Um, she's my cousin from District B."

"How come you never told me about this cousin of yours?"

The boy was eyeing Clary suspiciously, completely ignoring Nelson's presence.

"I, uh, never got the chance to, I guess."

Just then, a girl walked over to them. Her hair was what every girl dreamed of- blonde, poker-straight, with just the right hint of wave. She had them pulled back in a low ponytail.

"Hey, Aus-" she stopped mid-sentence, staring at the two Albamaians. "Who are these newbies?" she asked, narrowing her eyes at them.

"My cousins from District B,"  Austin replied.

"So, he is your cousin too?" the teenage boy asked, pointing his index finger towards Nelson, finally acknowledging his presence.

Austin nodded in reply. The girl had her head slightly tilted to her left and was taking in the two newbies.

"Cousins from District B, you say? Then what are they doing here?" she asked Austin.

"They migrated."

"I may be a below average student in History, but I do know that there hasn't been a single migration in the past fifteen years."

"Well, I guess they broke some world record then."

"Why the need to break it, though?"

"Becau-"

"Let them speak for themselves, Austin." the girl said, smiling at the two Albamaians.

A shiver ran down Clary's spine as she looked into the ocean blue eyes of the girl standing before her. Clary had absolutely no idea what to say. She stole a glance at Nelson, whose eyes were wide with fear and beads of perspiration had formed on his forehead. That gave her the hint that she was supposed to do the speaking. Clary cleared her throat.

"Well, you see, our parents sacrificed our little sister to Albama a week ago. We couldn't stand to live with them after what they had done, so we decided to come stay with our cousin here."

"Our? You two are brothers and sisters?"

"Y-yeah."

"Really? You look nothing alike."

"Step. They are step-brothers and sisters." Austin chimed in.

"Interesting! Isn't it weird, though, how your dad is the president of this District, whilst a relative of his gets to sacrifice his child to Albama?" the girl asked.

"Oh, Steph. Are you just gonna stand here and bore our guests to death with your never ending questions?"

The girl, Stephanie, rolled her eyes at Austin.

"I was just curious. Anywho, my name is Stephanie. I'm one of Austin's close acquaintances." she said, extending her arm towards Clary, a smile lighting up her features. However, the smile that was plastered on her face was of cold malice rather than any genuine affection. Clary and Nelson both shook hands with her, introducing themselves as Mikayla and Xanthos. The teenage boy, who had been quiet for quite a while, told his name to be Jason.

Austin and his self-proclaimed cousins had to part ways with Steph and Jason because the two newbies had to get themselves enrolled in the school. Austin went along with them to guide them through.

The Principal was extremely surprised when he heard that Mikayla and Xanthos had migrated from District B.

"A migration? That's very...peculiar. Oh well, welcome to this District and of course, this school." he said, beaming at the two newbies.

Both the Albamaians bowed their heads in response.

"However..." the principal said. "I will be needing your academic records from your previous school."

Austin's eyes widened. "But sir, they haven't brought any here."

"Child, I can't just enroll them in any class without looking at their academic records."

Clary was clenching and unclenching her fists nervously, worrying on her bottom lip.

"I have an idea." the principal said, bringing his hands together.

"What?" the three asked in unison.

"You guys can tell me the name of the school you've studied from so I can contact your District's president and ask him to get your school principal to provide me with your records.

So, which school are you children from?"

****

Author's note: Thank you so much for reading!

I apologise if this chapter sucks or contains any errors, because I haven't had the time to proof read it and it's honestly, above 1 o'clock here, so I have absolutely no idea what I've written. I'll edit it as soon as I get the time. :)

Vote

Comment

Share.

Clary will love you! :)