Chapter 15:

If Jason hadn't kept reminding her that Austin and Stephanie were waiting for them, or for him at least, then Clary would've loved to spend more time just outside Austin's house, gazing up at the night sky, smiling at the constellations connecting the stars and the patina of the moon. She wouldn't even have minded Jason's presence, which she often dreaded. Under the blanket of the dark starry sky, with the nighttime breeze blowing against her skin; Clary felt a tickling sensation of freedom. Its tug was so vehement, so intense, that she didn't want to let it go. Not too soon.

So she asked him, after the fifth time he had informed her that they were getting late.

"Jason? Do you mind if we walk to wherever we're supposed to go, instead of taking your car?"

Going in the car would mean being trapped again, within walls. She didn't want that. Tonight, all she wanted was to walk under the moon and a sky full of stars.

"Don't be ridiculous, Mikayla! The restaurant is miles from here," he argued, his face flushed red, as a display of his frustration.

"How far can it be? Plus, a good walk can do you no harm."

"Scientifically speaking, it is not advisable to work out before eating."

"Oh, Jason, please. Just this one time."

The expectant look in Clary's eyes, her hopeful, pleading voice, was becoming increasingly difficult for Jason to ignore. It troubled him at the same time, though. Sure Austin could be a bit thick-skinned and insensitive, but the thought of him keep his very own cousin caged when they so desperately craved freedom was quite disturbing. From what he knew of his friend, he would never do such a thing without a valid reason. Maybe tonight, he could get his answers.

"Fine, as long as you stop dancing around like a poodle dog."

The smile that lit her features at that moment was brighter than he had seen in any toothpaste commercial. Clary stared at him, her mouth hanging open as if she couldn't believe that he had agreed. Before she could react the way she would've liked to, to celebrate her freedom, Jason said,

"Remember, no acting like a poodle dog."

So she tried to get a grip on herself and was partly successful. However, she failed to wipe that smile off her face. It just refused to leave. Showering Jason with her gratitude, she followed him, part-jumping, part-walking, down the street.

"So, what does your dad do for a living?"

That snapped Clary right back to reality. Clearing her throat, as she was reminded of why she hated being in Jason's company, she opened her mouth to answer:

"My dad? Oh, he's just a teacher."

"Ah, explains why your sister had to go to Albama."

"Huh?" Clary looked up at Jason, her face scrunched up in confusion.

"Your sister, Mikayla. You've forgotten about her so early?"

"Oh!" she said aloud, reminded of the fake stories she had made up. "No, of course, I haven't. Though I would prefer if you wouldn't bring up a touchy topic such as this."

"Right. I'm sorry," he said, his face not betraying a hint of emotion.

After a few moments of silence, driven by curiosity, Clary asked:

"What does your dad do?"

"He works at The Menticide. He's among one of the researches."

Nodding her head as if she understood, she pressed on to know more:

"What research?"

"I can't tell you what his current project is, that is top secret. I don't know that myself."

"Right."

Clary made a mental note to herself to ask Austin about The Menticide and its work. However, once she arrived at the restaurant, judging by Austin's expressions upon seeing her, she wasn't sure if he would let her live long enough to know the answer to her questions.