Friends? Friends. (PART 2)

Devasted by her exchange with her neighbour, Clary half-heartedly completed the rest of her job. Every now and then, a tear would roll down her cheeks, joining the droppings she was scooping up.

The boy's words made her feel so...exposed.

It felt like someone had pulled off her bandages, revealing all the scars she had been trying so hard to hide.

When Clary was done placing the wheelbarrow outside the barn, ready to leave, she felt a touch on her shoulder.

It was her neighbour.

"I'm sorry," the boy said, looking down at his muddy shoes.

Clary had always found the point of saying sorry useless. Apologising can never fix the damage that has been done, the same way all the king's horses and all the king's men could not put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

But the boy's apology was different. It held so much meaning, that Clary forgave him right away. She even hugged him.

"Your name is Nelson, right?" she asked, looking into the boy's blue orbs, which were wide in surprise.

The boy nodded in response. Then, he pulled her by the arm, taking her to the only park in Albama. Clary did not protest. She hoped he was taking her to play hopscotch. That always helped her relax after a long day of work.

Once they were in the park, from his pocket, the boy pulled out two apples. Handing one to Clary, he sat on the grassy ground beneath him.

"Where'd you get those?" Clary asked, looking at the apples in amazement.

"Stole them,"

"B-but Nelson, you could've gotten caught!"

"Then what? They would have probably killed me. At least, I wouldn't have gotten to feel hunger pangs after that."

So he even gets such thoughts, Clary thought as she sat on the ground beside Nelson.

They both chewed on their apples, taking small bites so that it would last longer. But even after they were done eating, the two sat together, discussing their lives. Getting to know each other better.

They must have spent too much time together in the park, because Clary's dad came there, searching for her.

When she was about to leave, Nelson took hold of her hand, stopping her.

"Friends?" he asked.

"Friends," she answered.

Author's note: As always, thank you so much for reading!

I wanted to know, if you guys prefer shorter chapters over longer ones. Like this? Because honestly, as a reader, I like shorter chapters better. But I would love to know what you guys are more convenient with.