Chapter Seven

~Alexis' Point of View~

I squirmed and twisted in my bed unable to drift off to the one place where I can be at peace with the world.

I began thinking about Harry. My head was buzzing, ironically, because this was the only time I needed it to go blank.

It was doing that thing where you can't think of the answer to a math problem during class, but at 4:37am. it comes to you.

Yeah it's happened before. Thanks 'ol pal.

Was he jealous today? At lunch. With Niall.

How could I not have seen it before?

Girls' brains are quite complicated. We don't see jealousy even if it comes up and slaps us in the face, but we'll often mistake almost everything for jealousy when it's far from it.

So which is it?

Was he just being an ignorant douche or did he actually feel something?

Well either way. He was making absolutely no effort to meet my very improbable standards of a man.

My man must have the tongue of Shakespeare and a heart of gold.

Or, if I cannot have that, I'll take anyone who can try not to be a an ignorant waste of space for two seconds.

Basically anyone but Harry.

After my mind frolicked through a field of highly improbable fictional scenarios between my Not-Harry and I, my brain decided to give up and let the darkness engulf my thoughts as I fell alseep.

~

Waking to the sound of a fire alarm is never a good sign.

I groaned and covered my head with a pillow.

I was assuming my mom had once again burnt a batch of breakfast muffins. Which she would not give up on baking, despite her inability to cook edible food.

My theory was trashed as my poor eardrums nearly went deaf due to the sound of someone howling like a banshee.

What the hell? I felt panic build in my chest as I scrambled out of bed and ran to my living room.

I found my mother by the bathroom screaming her head off as she stared at the scene before her.

The living room carpet was burning up by the second. And I mean the WHOLE carpet.

As in, the carpet that was big enough to cover the entirity of my living room floor. Therefore making it impossible to reach neither the phone nor the door.

Not to sound like a pessimist, but at that second I was sure we would all die.

I rushed over to my cat feeling a strange need to protect him at all costs.

His black tail shot straight up as he noticed the flames soon engulfing everything around us.

We were now completely blocked off from everything besides my room, the hallway and the bathroom.

The flames were spreading slowly , giving me time to think up a strategy.

Disappointedly , my brain decided to fail me, probably caused by all the smoke I was inhaling.

The heat was creeping towards me and I clutched to Whiskers for dear life.

I felt as though the fire was coursing through my veins, a side effect of being in a room practically made up of the flaming substance.

As the heat inched closer I dashed over to the other side of the hall, so I wouldn't get trapped in my room.

Now the only two things that weren't on fire were the bathroom and one half of a hallway.

Where was my father? I thought for the first time. I hadn't seen him since I woke up and as I glanced over at my mom, I knew she wouldn't be telling me anything any time soon.

My mother was frozen solid (figuratively) and I hurried and tried to shake her out of her trance.

She turned awfully silent all of a sudden. Her howling ceased and her head turned slowly towards me and I realized her eyes were closed.

Had she fallen asleep? I suddenly noticed flames all around us. Trapping us in a circle.

I was never one to get easily scared, however this was quite terrifying.

I was still clutching my cat, who's green eyes were now glazed over.

My cat and mother seemed to be petrified as I frantically tried to put out the flames.

My attempts had failed hopelessly and the last thing I remember is being swallowed by a sea of flames before waking up to the sound of ambulances.

~

Ambulances. Ambulances everywhere. I had survived the fire?

What about my mom? My cat! And my father, who I don't remember at all in the vague memory.

I looked around the room I was in , expecting to see beeping hospital-like machines.

I spotted a torn 'OneRepublic' poster on one of the walls and realized I was in my room.

What?

I could still hear the sounds of ambulances , now becoming more faint.

I quickly realize the sounds are coming from my window , tons of ambulances rushing past.

Why isn't my room in ashes?

I slipped out of bed and realized I was covered in my own sweat.

It is not hot enough for me to produce that much perspiration so what the hell is going on?

It soon dawns on me that I probably had a raging fever last night.

So, it was a nightmare? I thought to myself, not able to process everything quite this second.

I also realize that I don't have a cat.

What was that all about?