Chapter 5 || God Gave Me You

At magbabalik ang your show, your time… It’s Showtime!

Oh how she loved commercial gaps! She considers it her 10-minute freedom, not enough, but it’s a breather from the scorching demands of show business. For 10 minutes she can be herself, she can do what she wants, and right now she’s headed back to her dressing room.

“Excited for day 9’s surprise?” Anne said catching up on her.

“With how you’re keeping up with me, I’d say ikaw ang mas excited, Anne.” Karylle said giggling.

Who wouldn’t get excited? Yesterday she got day 8’s gifts. As usual, eight marble roses and the puzzle piece, and one thing more. A letter. It wasn’t a long letter, but just enough to make her heart skip a beat. It read:

“Apologies for making you wonder

Who I might be…

On the 9th day on the thirteenth hour

I’ll reveal myself to thee…”

She told Anne about the letter, and she told her to go along with it. There’s nothing to lose. She’ll just meet her secret admirer. She sighed. Now here they are taking long strides to her dressing room. Her admirer said he’ll be there on the thirteenth hour, which would mean 1pm. She’s 5 minutes late.

She opened the door to her dressing room. Nothing. There was no one there. No sign of her secret admirer, but she was sure he’d been there. She neared the table and picked up one marble rose. She counted. There were nine. She smiled as she inhaled the sweet scent of the flower. She closed her eyes as she tries to envision something.

“Mukhang malakas ang effect ng secret admirer mo sa’yo ah?”

Her eyes suddenly opened at that familiar voice. Vice… she bit her lip to calm herself before facing him. He was leaning on the door frame, arms crossed, eyes blank. He came towards her.

“A…ano’ng ginagawa mo rito?” she stammered.

“Well, last time I checked, I still work here.” He said coldly.

“Uhm,… uh…” she bit her lip. Clearly she doesn’t have ready to say about what Vice saw a little while ago. “Well… pinayagan ka na ba ng doctor bumalik sa trabaho?”

Vice looked at her. She’s being uneasy again while he is trying to hold on to his cold façade. He liked the part when she bit on her lip. Stop doing that, Karylle. I swear kung patatagalin mo pa yan I’ll end up kissing you as if my life depended on it. He shook the thought away. He needs to get a hold of himself.