Finally Chapter 5

“Excuse me, but can she take visitors?”  A pajama clad Carlos asks the nice night nurse who is awaiting the time she can return to her home and sleep.

“No, sorry.  She was awake for about a half hour earlier this morning, but she’s sleeping again.”  The weary nurse breaks Carlos’ gaze and stacks paperwork onto the desk.

“Really?  Are you sure I couldn’t just talk to her or see her for a second?”  He begs, puppy dog eyes watering and pleading with the cranky woman.

“Fine, but you only get 5 minutes.  Make it count.”  She points down the hall and Carlos books it down the corridor. 

Sliding to a stop, he steps more confidently into the room to see her.  Carlos proudly wears sweat pants rolled up to his knees and a hoodie, both rumpled from a hard night’s sleep.  Unfortunately, he didn’t have time to grab shoes, so he sports a barefoot fashion.  Good thing the nurse didn’t notice; he’d be thrown out for sure!  Of course, hitching a ride to the hospital wasn’t an easy task, but he had to see her.  If only he could tell her what happened to her father…  For now, though, he would act like everything was normal.  She’s getting better and then he can take her back to the Palmwoods, all of her back to a serene innocence. 

Striding over to her bed, he sits gently on the edge, placing his palm on her hand that slipped out of her blanket.  Cocking his head slightly, he sees the Chelsea he remembers.  A rosy glow slowly returning to her cheeks, though still fragile, she looks human again.  She’s still on the respirator, but he can tell she’s getting stronger and stronger with every breath she takes.  Carlos glances around, checking for any telltale signs of other visitors.  What he sees or rather, what he doesn’t see, astonishes him.  No cards, balloons, stuffed animals, or ‘Get Well Soon!’ banners hanging on her walls.  Her bedside table is empty except for his helmet.  Stupid nurses probably took it off her when she was sleeping.  Now that Carlos actually looks at her room, he finds it barren and depressing.  What with all the grays and faded yellows, it seems more like a nursing home that a hospital.  And to think, no one cares enough to visit her.  Does no one know?  Or does no one care?  It still doesn’t matter.  Here is a princess lying in a hospital bed and her friends and family have abandoned her in her very time of need.  Does that mean he would be considered her prince?  No, that’s impossible.  She didn’t like him…Or did she?  He shakes his head at the very thought.  It’s way too complicated to even think about in a time like this.  Anyways, the nurse said 5 minutes.  He needs to make the most of it.

Carlos’ gaze travels down the contours of her face, down her perfect, smooth ivory neck and finally reaching her small, cold hand.  He envelops it in his two.  To his surprise, he sees a small note scrawled on the back of her hand, only being able to recognize a few words:  ‘help me.’  How in the world can such a beautiful human being be so troubled as to write something like that?  Unless she wanted someone to notice... Well, no matter.  Carlos would crawl to the ends of the earth to save and help this girl.

A soft sigh interrupts his thoughts and he looks over to see Chelsea open her eyes, glancing at her hand before following Carlos’ up to his face.

“Hey, sorry I don’t look any better.  I must have fallen asleep reading again.  So what are you doing here at 9:24 a.m.?  Any normal person would still be in bed and sleeping.”  After those words fall from her mouth, she takes an eyeful of Carlos in and adds “Or maybe you were…?”

Wow.  No matter how down and out she looks or seems to be, she can still make him smile.  A glimmering smile spreads on his face and he laughs a little.  There for a second, Carlos actually forgot she was in the hospital and he was in his pajamas.  Hard to believe, I know, but then again, it was only for a second.

“Nah, I had to get out of the Palmwoods for a while.  Things get stressful with Logan, Kendall, and James.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t know since I don’t have any friends…”

Stale air hangs awkwardly between the two as Carlos frantically reaches out through the depths of his mind for comforting words, but he comes up with nothing in time.

“Oh, sorry.  I guess I shouldn’t be so negative.  YOU’RE my friend, huh?  Sorry, I’m a tad out of it, but I think I already said that.”

“Nah, it’s ok.  I just wish you were feeling better and I could take you away from here.  It’s sort of a dreary place.”

The light brushes her face, making it glow angelically as she scans the room for what seems to be the first time.

“Yeah, I guess so.  I’ve just never really paid attention.  Eh, I don’t plan on being here the rest of my life, so it’s ok.  It’ll do for now.”  Her eyes return to his and he freezes, mouth slacking open.

Three things happen at the very moment.

Vote, Comment, Fan, you know the deal.  No one likes ninja fans, except the fact ninjas are awesome, but whatever...invisible fans, hiding fans, sneaky sneaky people!  Please, just fan, vote, comment.  It's very important!!