Chapter 6

One:  I lean in for my very first kiss.  I love this boy with all my heart and I know deep inside that he feels the same way about me.  I’m ready to be in love.

Two: Carlos leans in at the same time, eyes closed and ready to surrender to the strong force between him and I, knowing there’s no reason or way to ignore it any longer.

Three:  Carlos’ posse of friends barges into the room, opening the door with a loud slam, and a fat night nurse runs in after them.

Two things happen in the very NEXT instant.

One:  The three guys at the door scream things I can’t remember nor really care about.

Two:  I hear them, my eyes popping open as Carlos’ do, too, and he screams.  I, on the other hand, am WAY too shocked to scream and my hand flies to my mouth as though I couldn’t believe what I almost did.  ALMOST…

“Well, you sure made the 5 minutes count, huh?”  The nurse asks snottily, hands on her hips and smiling like a maniac.

“Boys, will you please leave for a minute?  I will let you in momentarily.” She turns to the crowd at the door.

Finally, the tall blond one speaks.

“It’s ok.  Just send him out whenever.  Carlos is leaving with us.”  He says with a strict voice.

“Great.  He’ll be out in just a minute” she tells them, pushing the boys into the hall and shutting the door behind them.

I still don’t know what to do, so I look back and forth between Carlos and frumpy, who keeps giving my angel horrible stares.

“Just what do you two think you’re doing?  I’m running a hospital here, not a hotel service!  I let you in here to see her, not eat her face!  Either way, your 5 minutes is up and she needs to get some sleep.  So, if you would, please visit during normal hours, don’t ever come back during my shift, and wear some shoes next time.  It’s very unsanitary and we’re trying to keep people healthy, not give them swine flu!  So,”

Ugly nurse pushes Carlos towards the door, sparing no force in the process.

“Thank you for coming, but next time, be more respectful and responsible, please.  Have a nice day!”  She adds in a fake happy voice, all but shoving him into the hallway, closing the door just as he turns and gives me the most heart-breaking look in the history of looks.  If I could move, I would jump out of this bed and punch that smirk off that old, wrinkly face of hers.  Before I can even finish thinking about this, however, crazy nurse lady turns to me.

“So, how was your kiss?” she asks, almost as if she’s a school girl ready to be let in on the latest gossip around the school yard.

“Why do you care?!  You just pushed him out into the hall!!  What was all that about?!?!”  I freak on her, hoping I make a point.

“Dear, I’m not usually that pushy and mean, but I have a reputation to maintain.  If I let you go too far with that sweet boy, next thing you know, the whole hospital will be popping out babies and sucking each other’s faces all the time.  I mean nothing bad for you and that boy; I just want to not get fired, ok?  Do you understand?”  A sort of softness comes through on her face as she waits for my response.

“Yeah, I guess.”  I mumble, feeling bad about wanting to punch her.  Here’s a woman who just wants to help people and keep her job.  I’M the horrible person.

“So…” She eggs me on with a look, eyebrows raised.

I sigh before trying to explain.

“I never got to kiss him.  You guys came in just an instant before it happened.”  I frown, thinking of what could have been.

“Oh, dear, I’m very sorry.  Hopefully you’ll be able to kiss the sweet boy.  Just remember, try not to do it on my shift” she adds before leaving and gently closing the barrier between my savior and me.  For what seems like the millionth time, I fall asleep wishing I had him by my side.