Chapter 9

“Um, sir?  Sir?  You need to wake up.  Visiting hours are done tonight.”  The woman is now a man.

What’s going on?

“Sir?  I’m going to have to ask you to leave.” 

Carlos’ eyes pop open and finds himself collapsed in the hallway of the hospital outside her room.  Remembering what happened, Carlos’ memory comes back and he makes heads and tails out of things.  No, it can’t be…

“What time is it?”  He scrambles to his feet, brushing himself off.

“It’s 8:00 p.m.  Sorry to impose, but you need to leave.  Visiting hours are over for the night.  Come back tomorrow and”

Carlos doesn’t give him enough time to finish before opening the door to Chelsea’s room and seeing her sleeping peacefully in her bed, looking as alive as ever.

It was just a dream.  Only a dream.  That’s all.

His feet carry him to her, lying in the rumpled sheets.  Chelsea’s eyes open slightly.

“Carlos?  What are you doing here so late?  You’ll get kicked out!  Why…?”

Before she has the chance to finish her sentence, he leans down and kisses her softly, lips brushing past each other.  It takes no time for Chelsea to pull him into her.  After a few seconds, Carlos pulls away, opening his eyes to see *her* beautiful face. 

“Thanks” he says, wanting to slap himself once the words come out of his mouth.  Thanks?  What kind of a thing is that to tell her after her first kiss with him and his first kiss, period?  Thanks for deflowering my lips?  Yeah, that sounds so innocent…

Chelsea giggles, hiding her beautiful smile with her hand.

“You’re welcome.  Thank you, too.  So, I think that guy at the door is waiting for you…” Carlos turns to see her pointing at the janitor who woke him up in the hallway.  Looking agitated, he taps his wristwatch with his long, bony finger as his foot follows suit, tapping against the shiny tile.

“Ok.  Well, I’ll see you tomorrow, ok?” Carlos starts heading toward the door just to spin 180° on his heel.  Leaning back down to her level, he kisses her again, holding on just a second too long.

“Yeah.  I’ll be looking forward to it.”  Chelsea smiles, warming Carlos’ heart to the millionth degree. 

He waves as he heads toward the door, stepping outside the door.

“Will you please leave now?”  The cranky janitor asks, agitated look crossing his face.

“Yes, of course” Carlos says, walking himself outside to see the guys nowhere in sight.  Huh.  They must have given up on waiting for him and left.  Ah, the way he’s feeling, he doesn’t mind a walk to the Palmwoods, even if it’s a 5-mile walk.  Right now, he’s flying high above EVERYONE.  Chelsea’s alive and finally his.

Dreaming restlessly, I can’t shake the feeling I’m being watched, so I slowly creep my eyes open to see Carlos above me.  By the look of the room, it has to be at least 8:  already after visiting hours.

“Carlos?  Why are you here so late?  You’re gonna get kicked out!  Why…?”  I’m trying to interrogate him, but he leans down and kisses me.  I mean, a real kiss.  Our lips ACTUALLY touch!!!  I feel a warmth spread through me and regret when he takes his lips from mine.  Believe it or not, this is my first kiss…ever.  I thank God Carlos is mine. 

“Thanks” he utters, the goofiest, most satisfied grin I’ve ever seen in my life.

I laugh.  I am just as nervous as he is.  And I thought I’d be the one to say something stupid!

“You’re welcome.  Thank you, too” I reply sweetly.  Just then, I notice an angry looking janitor in the doorway that looks like he wants to strangle my Carlos.

“Um, I think that guy is waiting for you…” I point to the door.

“Ok.  Well, I’ll see you tomorrow, ok?” Carlos turns on his heel and, for a second, I’m afraid he’ll just leave me.  However, he turns back and kisses me for just a second or two longer than I expect. 

 “Yeah.  I’ll be looking forward to it.”  I can barely catch my breath as he crosses the room, a goofy smile still on HIS face as well.

He waves as he heads toward the door, stepping outside and out of my life…for the rest of tonight, that is.

I fall asleep with the taste of Carlos on my lips and his warmth in my heart.