Chapter 10

By the time Carlos reaches 2J, it’s well past dark and probably heading on eleven o’ clock.  He strides in, head held high, slamming the door behind him.  At that sound, the boys stagger out of their rooms one by one, rubbing their eyes and tripping over their pjs. 

“Carlos?  Did you just get here?”  James mutters.

“Dude, isn’t it, like, midnight?”  Logan asks, glancing at the clock.  It is, in fact, just after midnight.  12:07 to be exact.

“We didn’t know where you, so we figured you’d come home whenever.  Where were you?”  Kendall shakes off the sleepiness enough to ask.

“Around.”

The sleepy guys look back and forth between each other with a quizzical look.  Carlos lightly steps-almost skipping-over to the couch, sitting down and sighing, sinking down in the cushions, eyes closed as he remembers the flush in Chelsea’s cheeks. 

“Uh, Carlos?  Should we be as afraid as we are?  ’Cuz I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m petrified…” Kendall tells him, shaking himself awake.

“Huh?  Oh, no.  I’m better than I’ve been in a LONG time.” His eyes flutter closed again and a faint smile traces his lips.

“Uh, I don’t even know how to respond to that.” Logan says, eyeing Carlos.

“Will we have to wonder just what happened until morning, or are you going to tell us what happened after we left?” Kendall asks, trying to take in Carlos, who just a while ago, was crying outside that girl’s door, distraught.

“She’s ok, guys!  She’s alive and mine.  I kissed her and I love her so much.”  A goofy grin invades his face.

“Is it just me, or does he sound like he’s in some kind of chick flick?”  James asks the other guys, chuckling to himself.

“Hey!  You asked and I’m telling you the truth!  Ya know, just leave me alone.  Don’t even talk to me anymore tonight because you obviously don’t understand.” Carlos gets up in a huff, ready to storm to his room.

“Carlos, don’t be like that!  We know you love her.”  Logan leans on Carlos’ shoulder.

“Yeah.  So…was she a good kisser?”  James winks at Carlos.

“I’m not saying…that would be rude…” he could barely help but crack another smile.

“Ah, I get it…” James looks satisfied and turns away, heading to flop down on the couch.

“So” Kendall butts in “what are you going to do now?  Are you guys gonna, like, go out?” He looks utterly bored by this conversation, though it may be more tired than anything.

“I don’t know.  I think I’m going to bed and what happens tomorrow…”

“Later today, TECHNICALLY” Logan interrupts, pointing a scientific finger.

“Whatever. What happens happens.  ‘Night.” Carlos waves, retreating to his room, leaving the guys now completely awake in the living room.

After throwing on some pjs, Carlos lies down in his bed, staring at the ceiling until he falls asleep to the image of her face in his mind.

“You’re doing especially well for your case and even though you’re still having some trouble remembering things, your brain seems to be healing remarkably well,” Dr. Stuck told me when she made her ten o’ clock rounds.

“So, not to be blunt, but when can I get out of here?” I ask, hoping for the best.

“Yes, I thought you might ask that.”  She says, smiling.  “I want to keep you here tonight and possibly tomorrow night, so at the latest, it would be 2 days from now.  However, if things progress as remarkably as they have already, you may be ready to go home tomorrow evening.  You’re one lucky girl” She tells me before leaving, closing the door silently behind her.

“You have no idea…” I whisper as my eyes flicker shut, not able to keep a smile from materializing on my relaxed face.

“So, I think I’m going to go apologize to Gustavo today, and then head over to the hospital.  Anyone care to join me?”  Carlos asks, pep in his step, as he seems to glide over to the table the next morning at breakfast.

“Oh, I gotta see this.  Count me in!” Kendall tells him.

“Sure, why not?” Logan says, wanting to be there in case Carlos needs protection.

“Yeah, whatever, but I’m not going to the hospital with you” states James.

“Fine, but I’m leaving in ten minutes, so just be ready.”  Carlos grabs some toast and walks back to his room to get dressed.

“What should I wear?” Carlos whispers half to himself. 

“Clothes would be a nice idea.”  A voice comes from behind him, causing him to jump, spinning around wildly.  He found Logan standing in the middle of the doorway, arms folded across his chest and a questioning eyebrow raised.

“God, you scared the crap out of me!  What are you doing, stalking me?”  Carlos asks, shoving the toast in his mouth, causing a mess of crumbs to cascade to the carpet below.

“No.  Just wanted to ask you a few questions.” Logan unfolds his arms, shuts the door, and sits gently on the edge of Carlos’ bed.

“Um, ok, but could you make it quick?  I kinda hafta go soon." Carlos pulls his pajama shirt over his head, moving towards his closet for something clean.

“Yeah.  Ok, so, why do you like her?  Are you going to totally leave and ignore us now that you have her?  Are you going to keep lying to her?  Will you ever tell her about her father?  Where is she going once she’s out of the hospital?  Do you really think this is going to work out?  Are you serious about this?”

“Whoa!  I thought you had a few questions!”  Carlos interrupts, pulling a freshly laundered v-neck on and searching for the perfect jeans.

“Yeah, and that’s all of them, though I guess I underestimated the number.  So…?”  Logan tilts his head, clearly waiting for answers to everything.

“Ok, let’s see if I got everything.  I don’t know why I love her but I do, of course not, I’m only doing it for her benefit, once she gets better, I don’t know, I hope so, and I’ve never been more serious in my life!  Anything else?” He asks, tugging on faded jeans and fixing his hair.

“No, that’s about it.  Thanks for answering in such detail” Logan replies sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

“Anytime” Carlos mutters, not even really paying attention anymore.  His mind is filled with the anticipation of seeing *her* again.

“Dude?  Seriously, though.  You’ve never met her before this and you just fell in love with her.  What was it?  Two days?  Do you believe in that?  Love at first sight?”

If Carlos didn’t know better, he’d think Logan was mocking him.  Unfortunately, he did know better and he knew Logan was mocking him.

“Yes, I do, and why shouldn’t I love her?  She needs someone to love her and someone to love, and I love her with all of me.  So, if you don’t mind, I have to go apologize to Gustavo and see my girl.”  Carlos turns to Logan, staring him straight in the eyes.  Logan will never know how good it feels to call her his girl.

“And yes, you’re driving me.” 

“Um, ok?”  Logan follows Carlos out of his room, shutting the door behind them both.

“Time to go, boys!  First stop: Rocque Records!”  Carlos announces, leading the pack out the door.

The guys look at each other, questioning Carlos’ sanity.  He’s never been this, they don’t know, lively, or persistent, or mean, or…something!

“Shotgun!”  Carlos calls out, leaping into the front seat, beaming from ear to ear.