Chapter 13

After grabbing my bag of little hospital ‘goodies,’ I’m escorted by the gossipy nurse to the waiting room.  Helmet still perfectly balanced on my head, I walk slowly, my legs still getting used to being in use and not laying in the bed all the time, and my head having a hard time concentrating on everything going on.  There’s so much going on everywhere, I feel like covering my ears and closing my eyes and screaming for it all to stop.  But if I do, I’ll either be forced to stay longer, or I just may be admitted into the psych ward.  Ha, that’s the LAST thing I’d need right now, but I’m sure that’d be a fit diagnosis! J  Just as I get ready to sit down in one of the ugly chairs in the empty room, I see Carlos come running through the door, head whipping around in all directions, looking for me I’m guessing.  The second our eyes meet, a giant sparkling grin appears on his face as he starts full out sprinting to me, grabbing me up in a twirling hug that lifts me off the ground.

“Hey, now!! No running in the hospital and be careful with her!  She’s still recovering and needs to be calm, cool, and collected at all times!”  The bossy nurse shouts from the nurse’s station.

“Oh, sorry” Carlos set me down and steadies the helmet on my head, still smiling.

“Ok, hun, this is all you and your boy need to know.  Keep on a balanced diet, relax for the next week or so, and if you have major headaches, call us.  That means no swimming, driving, dancing, running, or other exciting adventures.  You can take walks, but if you’re tired, sit down immediately.  If you have any dizziness or fainting spells, have you boyfriend here bring you back.  Minor pains can be treated with aspirin or ibuprofen.  After a week, I also suggest you see your normal doctor or physician to see what progress you’ve made.  I do hope the best for you, hun, and I know this fine young man here will take excellent care of you.  Bye, now!”  She cheerily waves and returns down the hallway, letting me turn to Carlos. 

“Oh my God, I never thought you’d come back and get me!!!  Oh, I’m SO glad you’re here.”  I can’t wipe the stupid, goofy grin off my face no matter how hard I try.  But, to tell the truth, I don’t think I want to…

“I would NEVER do that!  Just ask the guys.”  Carlos points his thumb back to the front doors where the guys are coming through.

“It’s true.” Bossy blonde remarks.  “You’re the only thing that’s been on his mind since…well, since he met you.”

“But watch out,” the pretty boy warns, “he just wants to get in your pants.”  He winks and nods.

“Um, ok” I seriously don’t know how to respond.  I stand there in the most awkward silence I’ve ever been a part of while the guys exchange killer stares and eye rolls.

“Um, James, mind if I talk to you over there for a second?”  Carlos grabs his arm forcefully and drags him to the opposite side of the waiting room.

Still feeling awkward among guys I don’t remember, it’s not but a few seconds before cute dark-haired boy comes up to me, hand extended, and introduces himself.

“Hi!  I don’t know if you remember me or not, but I’m Logan.  It’s so nice to officially meet you, and I’m so glad you’re doing better.  You weren’t in great condition when we brought you here.”  His pearly whites catch the florescent lights as he chuckles.  I shake his hand, realizing that although it’s in a way awkward, it’s like I’ve done it before or I’m comfortable with it already.  I like Logan.  He’s sweet and considerate.  He must be one of my better friends.

“So true.  You looked like you just got run over or something.”  Bossy blonde tells me.  “Oh, by the way I’m Kendall.  It’s a pleasure,” he says, waving from behind Logan, not bother to move from his spot.