Chapter 12

Kelly was their only saviour, and by 2 in the morning, she convinced Gustavo to give them a 10-minute break they desperately needed.  Collapsing on the couch, each winced from his achy, sore muscles.

“This is SO not worth it.”  Logan complained, peeling his shirt from his drenched chest, the other guys following suit.

“I’m so sorry, guys.  This is all my fault,” Carlos tells them, wiping sweat from his forehead.

“Ya think?  Yes, we’re blaming it on you, Carlos.  But you did get us our jobs back so…less blame.”  Kendall says, half-asleep and not making much sense as it is.

“Um, k…?”  Carlos tries to change positions, but falls off the couch.  Unfortunately, he doesn’t have enough energy to get back up.  Instead, he digs in his pocket for his cell and takes a minute to dial, as though pressing each button is such an effort.

“Who you callin’, Carlitos?”  James enquires, moving just his eyes.

“The hospital.  I want to check in on Chelsea.  Haven’t seen her or heard from the hospital lately, and I’m curious when she can leave.”  Carlos hits the talk button and raises the phone to his ear, wincing in pain.

“Los Angeles Northern Hospital.  How may I help you?”  A weary nurse answers.

“Uh, what is Chelsea’s condition?”  His voice shakes unintentionally.

“Are you the boy who keeps coming to visit her?  You’re famous here, now, ya know?”  He can hear the laughter in her voice.

“Yeah, I’m the same one.  How is she?”  He could be called back in by Gustavo any minute and doesn’t have time to listen to her tell him about things he just doesn’t give a crap about.

“She’s doing much better than expected.  Chelsea IS, however, disappointed you didn’t come today.  She was able to be released this evening.  Unfortunately, you never came and she didn’t know your number to call you for a ride, so she is staying tonight.  Tragic, isn’t it?  So, I’m hoping…” Carlos ends the call and tosses the cell aside.

“What’s up, man?”  Kendall mumbles.

“She could have left yesterday evening, but because she didn’t have a ride, she had to stay again tonight.”  Carlos almost inaudibly whispers.

“Aw, dude, I’m sorry” Logan reaches down and half-heartedly pats Carlos’ chest.

“I’m just screwing everything up today.  I can’t win.”  Carlos whispers to himself, face down in the carpet.  Not a minute later, Kelly comes in with the terrible news that they need to return for the rest of their work.  Pulling each other up, the guys trudge unwillingly back into the studio, abandoning all hope of ever being able to walk again.  Despite the matter at hand, the only thing on Carlos’ mind is how disappointed Chelsea is in him.  She really counts on him to be there for her and he let her down.  He can only imagine how horrible and mad she feels at the very second.

 I open my eyes to the bright sunshine streaming in through the little window to my right.  Looking around, I’m momentarily confused until I remember what happened last night.  Well, rather, what didn’t happen.  My face falls and my mind clouds over.  I get dressed, sitting back down in the bed and read.  I’m still rather sore from whatever happened, but I just want to leave this hospital.  It smells horribly and I’m so sick of looking at these four walls.  A nurse comes in at about 10 and tells me Carlos called last night. 

“Did he say if he was coming to get me today?  What happened yesterday?  Why didn’t he come?  What did he tell you?”  I’m sitting on the side of the bed, eagerly grilling her.  She looks frazzled and scared of my newfound energy.

“Sorry, dear, but he hung up before he said too much.  Apparently, or so Sally tells me, he seemed out of breath and in a hurry.  If my intuition is correct, however, I’m telling you I’m sure he’s going to come after you today.  After all, the was he was going at you two nights ago, he can’t just drop you like a hot potato.”  A smile pops up on her face.

“Wait, you heard about the kiss, too?!  How in the world…?”

“Oh, honey, rumors spread like the flu around here.  Trust me, nothing is truly confidential.  So, if you want, I think you’re up and healthy enough to visit the activities room if you’d like.  After all, it’s only morning.  You have a whole day to wait for your Mr. McDreamy.  Do what you want, just stay out of trouble, ok, dear?” 

I nod, not wanting to open my mouth.  I don’t know what to think.  I’m doing so much better, almost a miracle, but I don’t really know how to take things.  I’m so confused.  How did I get here?  What happened?  Should I know these things?  Was I not as bad as people thought?  Why was Carlos in a hurry and what was he doing?  Doubt flowers my mind and I lay back, pulling a magazine from the bedside table from under Carlos’ helmet.  He still hadn’t taken it back, despite visiting numerous times.  I pick it up, looking it over in detail for the first time since it had been placed on my head.  Banged up pretty bad, it’s evident it’s been around for a long time.  I place it on my head, not feeling the least bit silly, and lay back to read.  It fits almost perfectly.

“Ok, dogs.  We got done a little EARLIER than planned.  Rather than KEEPING you here and TORTURING you any further, I will allow you to go home for the rest of the day.  BUT I want you back here BRIGHT AND EARLY TOMORROW MORNING!!! GOT IT?!?”  Gustavo shouts in the studio.  The guys nod, exhausted like never before. 

“GOOD!!!  BYE!”  He turns and goes to his office, slamming the door behind him.  The guys turn and look at each other, knowing they still have a long walk home to the Palmwoods.  They fall face down onto the floor, crashing for a long nap they more than deserved.

~~2 hours later~~

After calling Chelsea, Carlos gathers his crew and they head over to the hospital, Carlos excited and anxious to be reunited with his broken little bird.  The whole way there, he couldn’t stop bouncing in his seat.

“Carlos!  Stop bouncing, or YOU will be the one paying for the replacement shocks, dude.  And trust me, they’re NOT cheap.”  Logan tells him from the front seat, glancing in his rearview mirror.

“I can’t help it, Logan!  I’m just so excited!!  I finally get to talk to her without having to drive to the hospital!”

“Ok, let’s get this clear once and for all…who’s the one driving?”  Logan huffs, asking in a smart aleck way.

“Fine, so YOU drive, but you get my point, right?” 

“Both of you just shut up…I’m still trying to catch up on my beauty sleep,” James sternly adds from the backseat beside Carlos.

“Yeah.  Logan, drive.  Carlos, stop shaking the car and shut up until we’re at the hospital.  Yay, we’re all happy now.” Kendall resolves the conflict, laying his head back onto the headrest again, completely silent and already drifting into dreamland.

Carlos, though excited, is wise enough to calm down for now and suffices by gazing out the window and watching cars, buildings, and billboards go by.  However, the second the Big Time Rush mobile pulls into the hospital parking lot, Carlos jumps out of the car while Logan is still looking for a reasonable parking spot.  Watching Carlos run into the hospital, Logan looks over at Kendall and tells him,

“Ya know, one of these times, he’s going to get hurt.  He’s as bad as a kid.  Or dog.”

“He’s just in love, the dimwit.  I worry about him, but you can’t really make him do something he doesn’t want to.  And you SURE can’t stop him from doing something he does.  We have no control over our lil’ Carlitos any more, Logie.  His heart belongs to love and this girl.  We’ve lost him, man.”  Pulling into a free space, Logan looks over at Kendall, who is facing the window, making it hard to believe he just spoke those deep words.  So, unbuckling his seat belt, Logan sighs and opens the door, not sure what will follow.  He doesn’t know how this is going to go with this new girl in Carlos’ life.  Well, Logan decides, I’m up for a challenge.