chapter 16

Eve dropped me back off at school after the last class of the day had ended. The parking lot was filled with students heading to their cars and out of the gates. "I don't know why the hell you're comin' back here," Eve said. "School is over."

"I still gotta go to detention," I told her.

"Says who?"

"Mr. Wilson."

Eve rolled her eyes. "You're only in detention 'cause you wanna be. If I were you, which I'm thankfully not, I wouldn't listen to a fuckin' thing that closet-case asshole said."

"I can't afford to get suspended from school again," I said.

"Bein' suspended has nothin' to do with you goin' to detention. You go to detention 'cause you think that's where you need to be, not 'cause you gotta be there."

I didn't really know what she meant by that, so I didn't say anything.

"You better hurry up. You don't wanna be late." As I opened the door, Eve told me, "Don't worry. Things are gonna work out just the way they're supposed to. He'll come back. Wherever he is."

"What if he doesn't?" I asked.

"Then that's his loss. You can only do your part. The rest is up to him."

"Maybe..." I opened the door and climbed out. "Thanks," I said. As soon as I closed the door, Eve cranked the volume of the radio up to the highest it would go and peeled out, almost hitting several people on the way out. I smiled and made my way to the boy's locker room.

* * *
"Up!" Wilson yelled.

He stood over me, his dirty sneakers inches away from my sweaty face. I lifted myself up, trying to keep my arms as straight as possible. We had already done a hundred and thirty five pushups and had about seventy more to go. My whole body was numb and I felt like I was going to fall apart at any second. I looked at the others: Billy, Jason, Luke, and Scott Howard. Billy was the only one of us who seemed like he had enough energy to do two hundred, but the rest of us were barely making it.

If Chris were here, maybe I would've been able to do it a bit easier. Chris could probably do two hundred pushups without breaking a sweat. If he had been here, like he should've been, maybe it would've been easier. Wherever he was, he was supposed to be here with me. The reason I had gotten detention to begin with was because of Chris. If he wasn't here to do this with me, why was I here? I thought about what Eve had told me. I don't go to detention because I have to, but because I feel like I have to.

"Down!" Wilson called out.

I dropped to the ground. Pain vibrated throughout my body. I closed my eyes and gritted my teeth. I didn't want to do this anymore. I had endured torture from this man for over three weeks now, and it was time for it all to stop. I didn't want to do detention anymore. I didn't have to do detention anymore. I had already paid the price for my actions with Chris.

I never realized it until Eve told me, but the only reason why I showed up to detention day after day, wasn't because I was afraid of the consequences that would occur if I didn't show up - because obviously Chris didn't care about the consequences - but because deep down I felt like I deserved to be punished: I felt like I deserved to be punished for my attraction to Chris, for our relationship - or however it could be defined - and I felt like I was being punished for just being me. And I didn't want to do it anymore. There was no reason for me to be here. There was no reason for any of us to be here. I was tired of being victim to Mr.Wilson. I was tired of being victim to Chris and everybody else at this school, but most important, I was tired of being victim to myself.