The Goblin and the Fireworks

Chapter Six

The Great Hall was decorated with live bats and spiders on all four walls, made for the thrilling holiday that was known as Halloween. All the students were having a wonderful dinner feast with mouthwatering food on the tables. There was a seat empty beside Hermione Granger who was speaking to Harry Potter and Ron Weasley, asking if they knew where Lucy had gone.

"Last I saw her, she was in the common room," Harry said, munching on a chicken leg. "But that was hours ago. Can't be particularly sure where she is right now."

"When I saw her just an hour ago, she told me she was going to the library like someone I know. I thought she'd be with you, Hermione," Ron interjected, scooping up some mash potatoes and placing them inside his mouth.

"Haha, Ron, very funny," Hermione said sarcastically, rolling her eyes. "I'm just worried about her, okay? I mean, she could be anywhere and we're just sitting here eating. What if she's in trouble?"

Ron looked down the end and beneath the table. "Nope, she's not here at all."

Hermione groaned. "Ron, I just told you —"

"No, Fred and George are obsessed with her now, so I was just wondering if she was sitting with them."

"Why are they obsessed with her?"

"She plays pranks. It's not hard to guess —"

"GOBLIN!"

The Golden Trio swerved in their seat and there was, indeed, a nasty green goblin standing at the entrance of the Great Hall, smiling at all of them. It was wearing a black Hogwarts robe. All the students were huddling towards the other side of the room, toppling over each other in the process.

Hermione was confused — why was a goblin here and not at Gringotts? And why are all the students so terrified of it when they've seen goblins all over the bank —

And that's when she saw it. There was a wand in the goblin's palm. Though Hermione would usually support that motion, now wasn't quite the time for that with Lucy nowhere to be found. Goblins are not allowed wands and don't really need one. Only rebelling goblins stole wands, which had caused the first war between the goblins and the wizards. Hermione started to feel the panic that everyone else was having. Harry and Ron both noticed the wand too because they pushed Hermione closer to it as if she was a sacrifice.

"No! Stop, it's going to kill me —"

But Hermione's sentence was stopped short when she heard laughter. The goblin was toppled over, hunching on its knees, and was laughing. Slytherins looked at it in disappointment, probably hoping something bad or entertaining would've happened. The Hufflepuffs were still scared, moving towards the teacher's table while the Ravenclaws were studying it.

Professor McGonagall and Professor Dumbledore left the table to have a word with the goblin meanwhile the other teachers proceeded to calm the students down, hushing at screaming girls and whispering guys.

The headmaster and deputy headmistress strolled through the tables with ease. Before they could say anything, the goblin raised it wand — causing many students to shriek — and the goblin's skin turned from green to a tan color, its face looking more like a Lucy Donavon than anything.

Hermione pointed at Lucy who was smiling as Professor McGonagall and Dumbledore came closer to her, not frightened at all. She had been hoping to get in trouble at least by the headmaster once. It didn't feel right for just one simple teacher to punish her.

"How did you do that young lady?" was the first thing Professor McGonagall said.

"Its pretty simple, actually. I learned how to transfigure myself into anything I want. My parents and grandmother taught me some of it, but it was mostly myself," she answered back.

"Not even my N.E.W.T students can do that . . . Lucy, if you want to take some private lessons from me so you can do it without a wand, just let me know."

"That would be amazing." She smiled. "I can't do a Patronus. Can you help me with that too?"

"I only teach Transfiguration, but I think Professor Umbridge would be delighted to help you."

"Professor, not to be rude, but I don't think she's any more help. She'd just make me read a chapter on it."

"Just ask Harry Potter; he'll help you I'm sure."

Dumbledore was the one who said it. He stared at her with interest, eyes twinkling. He had a small smile on his face while he studied her. Lucy nodded and said, "That I'll do."

"Well, off you go to your friends."

She walked away from them, a little disappointed that she didn't get in trouble. Once Lucy sat down beside Hermione, the Golden Trio jumped at her. Ron was probably the loudest one.

"WHAT THE BLOODY HELL WERE YOU THINKING, LUCY? TRANSFIGURING YOURSELF LIKE A GOBLIN! YOU COULD'VE KILLED YOURSELF YOU KNOW THAT? WAIT UNTIL HERMIONE YELLS AT YOU TOO, OH, YOU'LL REALLY GET IT —"

"Oh, shut it, Ron. You're worse than a Howler," Hermione shot back. She turned to Lucy. "So what did they say?"

So she told them what happened. When she was done, she asked Harry, "So, will you teach me?"

"Yeah, I have classes. You can join with them." Harry pointed at Hermione and Ron.

"We're called 'Dumbledore's Army,' " Hermione said, clapping her hands excitedly.

Then there were fireworks shooting off outside the Hall. Everyone was either screaming or trying to get a closer look at who was setting them off. There was no one in the halls.

Lee Jordan raced up to Lucy and asked, "Have you seen Fred and George?"

"No . . . were they the ones that —"

"— started the fireworks?"

"Why, of course!"

The twins were standing behind her with a triumph smile on their faces. Fred had some soot on his face and Lucy wiped it off for him. He blushed.

"Saw that goblin prank. Very nice; I give it a ten out of ten." Fred winked.

George added, "Me too, but you should've let me have a go with you."

"Well, maybe next time when you guys let me in on your pranks!" Lucy argued. "I would've loved to set those fireworks off."

"Yeah," Lee agreed. "Why did you let me in on that? What do you think I am — chopped liver?"

"I mean . . ." George began but ended mid-sentence when Lee gave him a nice punch in the shoulder, George hissing at him like a snake.

Lucy looked around her and noticed that the fireworks entered the Great Hall, all the teachers were letting Professor Umbridge do all the work. Even Dumbledore was away, not even coming to help the troll. Lucy laughed as she watched Umbridge battle a single firework. Once she thought it was gone, more came along. She tried to leave them, but they tailed after her. Umbridge started screaming as the fireworks chased her, causing a roar of laughter behind her.

Lucy said, "I hate you two. It would've been awesome if I'd been able to contribute."

[a/n: i don't really like this chapter, but it's sort of a filler. i hope you guys like this story. i am in love with the harry potters series, and am loving this novel as well.]