Harry's Birthday

Chapter Twenty-Nine

It was July 31, also known as Harry Potter's birthday. Lucy had gotten him his gift just before she came to the Burrow for the wedding. She made sure it was something he'd use. So when she went to the kitchen, she tossed her gift in the pile of Harry's birthday presents.

"Happy birthday, Boy Who Lived!"

He rolled his eyes at her and continued eating his breakfast. George was sitting at the end of the table, and Lucy mouthed Morning, loser. The guy just rolled his eyes at his twin's girl and flicked a piece of his perfectly made scrambled eggs at her.

In about an hour, everyone, besides Mrs. Weasley, was in the dining room, watching Harry open his gifts. It was bothering him, but they didn't move an inch. They didn't care if he was uncomfortable — it was his birthday for heaven's sakes!

But that wasn't why he felt uncomfortable. It was Lucy's bloody gift that made him flush. She really is her foster father's daughter, he thought as he discreetly pushed the condom back inside its box, making sure no one saw it.

When he finished opening the rest of the presents, Mrs. Weasley emerged from her sanctuary with a huge birthday cake. She had baked a humongous Snitch and coloured the sphere a sunny-yellow, the wings pure white.

"Move out of the way people — the birthday boy's cake needs to be set down on the table!" Mrs. Weasley maneuvered her way to the backyard where there was enough room for everyone to sit down and eat. There were more guests to come. "I'm going to need help setting up the table too, so off you children go. Chop, chop!"

Just then, Remus Lupin, Nymphadora Tonks, Rubeus Hagrid and Sirius Black strolled in casually. They all had a wrapped box in their arms, holding onto it like it was the only thing they truly cared about. Harry grabbed the gifts and thanking them before heading back inside to throw away the wrapping paper.

"So . . . this is Harry's cake, eh?" Hagrid whistled under his breath. "Betta than the one I gave him when he was eleven."

"Hagrid!" Lucy shouted. She was hoping to see him return to Hogwarts unscathed last year. "I missed you."

"Lucy! It's abou' time I see yeh again. Look at yeh — so tall and pretty. Yer Mum would've been proud," Hagrid said with a sigh. He whispered only to her, "I knew her in me Hogwarts years. Sweet lady, she was. I know abou' yer father too. I've been informed not too long ago."

Lucy gave him a hug. "Will you tell me about her?"

"Of course, if yer want me to." He gave her a light squeeze, in other words, which meant that he nearly flattened her like a pancake. "I gotta go find the birthday boy. I'll see yer later!"

She watched him struggle to enter the Burrow. Eventually, Harry came outside, saving him from the trouble. Sirius Black was heading her way with a playful scowl on his face.

"Hey there, Lucy," he said. "Er, can we forget about me nearly blasting you to shreds?"

She shrugged. "If you don't do that ever again, it can be arranged."

"So, er, I just — I just wanted to thank you for saving Harry's life last year. I wasn't able to see you — being stuck in my own bloody house for a year and all — so . . . thank you. I really appreciate what you did. Heard all about it too, and I'm really impressed."

Lucy smiled. "Harry is my best friend. I'll do anything for him. But, uh, why were you stuck in Grimmauld Place?"

"Shush! Don't say it out loud!" Sirius covered her mouth quickly. She raised her eyebrows at him, and he let go, instead observing his cubicles. "Er, I'm a wanted man. I'm so buff and all. Everyone wants me . . . and I'm on the wanted list. I have a five thousand galleons over my head."