The Return of Tom Riddle

Chapter Forty-Eight

Hermione could hear the conversation from the prison. They were in the next room, and the walls were as thin as paper. She gasped. "Voldemort is putting his soul back together. Harry, you don't have to vanquish him. This is going to be loud though. It's the most painful method ever."

The screams never stopped. They lasted for hours without end, making the others cringe when they heard each new wave. Their cell was small, but there was still enough room to fit them all. Hermione and Ron were cuddling in each other's arms, and Harry was rocking back and forth.

It felt like days had passed when the screaming stopped. They all scrambled to their feet, or as high as they could stand. Ron had to crouch while Harry and Hermione just had to slouch their backs a bit.

The door opened, and in came Lucy. Behind her followed a handsome young man who didn't look any older than twenty-five. He had a dazzling smile and gelled hair. His eyes sparkled with excitement and adventure. His skin was tanned, but not too dark.

The resemblance was barely there except for their eyes — they looked exactly the same. It wasn't hard to figure out Lucy looked more like her mother than her father. They were both beautiful people, though.

Tom Riddle looked nothing like the monster Voldemort was. Voldemort was a cold, evil man who would kill for what he wanted. Tom Riddle looked like a man who just wanted to have fun and experience life.

He was playing with his fingers, a nervous habit Lucy had too. Tom pursed his lips, trying to think of something effective to say. "I — I apologize for my behavior. I'm really not a horrible guy. It's just — my wife, she died and I —"

Hermione interrupted him. "No, I understand." She managed a bright smile as she elbowed Ron to say something. He quickly said the same thing as Hermione, trying hard not to stare too much at Tom Riddle.

Harry was the only one who didn't say anything. He couldn't make up his mind. Voldemort murdered his parents. He ended their lives with no mercy. Was he supposed to forget about that just because he finally decided to become a good man?

"Harry, I really am sorry for killing your parents. I wasn't thinking like myself. If I could redo my actions, I would've never killed Lily and James Potter, or anyone else." The boy still didn't reply. Tom sighed. "I don't expect you to forgive me, but I want you to do one thing. Disarm me."

Harry looked up. "What?"

"Disarm me. Just do it, boy."

He didn't know what to say, so instead he just said, "Expelliarmus!" Lucy was smiling as the wand sailed through the air into Harry's open palm. He felt the wooden stick's power souring into his arm. "Is this —"

"The Elder Wand?" Tom chuckled. "Why, yes it is; I found it on my journey. I was searching the Deathly Hallows and reclaiming my Horcruxes. I wasn't able to find the other two, so I believe you have them, Harry."

"How did you get this?"

"Dumbledore was the former master of the wand. When Snape killed him, the wand had to obey to him. Nagini told me I needed to disarm the man, so I did. I had no idea she would sink her teeth into his neck behind my back." He shook his head. "She's now with your mother and father, with my family. I don't want her to harm my daughter behind my back."

This gave him an idea. "Thank you for the wand. I — I think I'll forgive you one day. With everything's that happened, it's just . . . I need time."

Tom nodded his head. "I understand. I only wish to have your forgiveness someday." He grabbed Lucy's shoulder. "Now, who wants to go meet the Order?"

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Ron, Lucy, and Hermione were reuniting with their families. All the Weasleys, Bellatrix, Rodolphus, Dolohov, and the Grangers were at Bill and Fleur's cottage. Sirius wasn't here yet, so Harry was left alone at a nearby cliff.

He stared at the open sky. Harry was going to reunite with his family too. He opened his pouch and felt for the Snitch Dumbledore had given him. The golden sphere slipped out of the bag. His grip on it was tight.

Harry stared at the Snitch. He touched his mouth to it. A compartment opened, and there, laying in all its glory, was the Resurrection Stone. It was an emerald color, only the size of a pebble. He palmed the smooth surface.

Harry clutched the stone in his hands, closing his eyes. When he reopened them, there in their misty figures was Lily and James Potter, holding each other and smiling down at their child.

He cried, "Mom, Dad!" Harry reached for them, but all he could grab was air. Disappoint was the only emotion he felt at that exact moment but just looking at his parents made his heart swell again. He was finally reunited with them.

"Hello, Harry," Lily said. She placed an open palm on his cheek. He closed his eyes and imagined her touch. His father was messing with his hair like he used to do all the time in hopes that it would impress Lily. It eventually became Harry's  everlasting hairstyle.

Harry felt someone touching his shoulders, startling him. Sirius was giving him a sad smile as he noticed his dead best friend staring back at him. James's smile widened even more, and he motioned for him to come closer.

Almost in a trance, he did so. James was hopping up and down with excitement. "My good friend!" Sirius tried to control his emotions, but he couldn't. This was his best friend, the only person who truly cared about him along with Remus Lupin.

"James, it's really good to see you." He wanted to grab onto his best friend's shoulder, but it would be impossible. James wasn't real. He wasn't going to come back to life, and Sirius accepted that. "I really missed you."

James replied, "I missed you too, Sirius. Continue to take care of Harry. I know he loves you a lot." They looked back at the boy who was talking to his mother. He was telling her a story, about his adventures, and his new friends. "He is one handsome fella, isn't he? I knew he'd get the good looks from me . . . er, and some of Lily's too!"