A Bumb in the Night

It was going to be hard to go to sleep, what with all that has happened. I laid my head down on the goose feathered pillow and rolled over on my side, tucking my legs into a fetal position.  When I wake in the morning was I still going to be here? Was this all just a dream? I closed my eyes and let the smell of the sheets over take my senses. It was the same aroma that brought back so many pleasant memories. It comforted me greatly and I soon let those recollections of the pass sooth me into slumber.
I felt like I had just drifted off to sleep finally when a sound jostled me awake. I sat up in bed looking at the door. Was it the lock I heard clicking into place? My eyes drifted to my open palm. Why did I have this feeling like someone was just here holding it? My body moved on its own as I flung the blanket off of me and I rushed to the door only to find that it was now locked. I fumbled with it as I frantically tried to pull open the door. I didn't know there was a lock to begin with so why is it locked now? The door gave way to my pull and I rushed through it into the dark hallway. I could hear the light foot steps of  someone walking away.  I looked to the right towards the sound. A soft glow of a candle caught my attention and it dimmed as it floated around the corner at the end of the corridor. My feet moved on there own towards the fleeting light. It had to be him!  I turned the corner and saw those unmistakable shoulders that I had burned into memory. Reaching my arms out I jumped forward and wrapped them around his waist, barring my face into his back. The silence crept up around us as we stood there without a word. All I could hear was the pounding in my own chest as the seconds ticked away.
"I need you to go back to the Shingashina District tomorrow y/n. You don't belong here." Levi's words broke the stillness of the night and tore through me leaving my body feeling cold. This wasn't the same man I fell in love with. I let go and took a step back, wounding why I thought he would be the same person I knew from all those years ago. "I'm sorry, I-I just haven't seen you in years. I was so worried that you were still in that pit, why didn't you let me know that you were safe?" I said to the back of Levi, a little upset that he never considered to tell me he was still alive and free from the place we grew up together.
"It would have been better for you to believe that I had fallen in that place then to know that I was here." His voice was but a whisper. Why would he say such a thing to me? Did he not understand my feelings?
"I want you to forget about me y/n. I don't want you here." Levi's words were final and he started to move away.
"You're such an idiot Levi!" My voice called to him. "You're not going to to stop me from joining just because you're worried about me!" I said flatly turning on my heals and stomped heatedly in the opposite direction back towards the room. I couldn't believe that he would stop caring about me after all this time. It has to have been him who locked the door to my room. Why was he trying to hide his feelings from me?
I suddenly felt a strong force wrap around my waist pulling me back as Levi's other arm held me around my shoulder bringing my body into his.
"I AM worried about you.. That's why I need you to leave this place tomorrow, okay?" His soft gentle voice soothed my anger  instantly. I wanted to melt into his heat but knew it was too late for that.
"I'm just so relieved that your here Levi. I thought I would never see you again." I fought back the tears as they began to whell up in my eyes. "The only way I have survived this long was because I never forgot about the promise you made to me. I wanted to believe that we would one day meet again." I said as I kept my tears at bay.
"And now we have, that's why I want you to listen to me when I tell you to go back, this is no place for you." I could tell that he was upset that I was here and it hurt my heart having to tell him that I wouldn't be going back to the false life I was living before this day.
"I have already decided to stay, this is where I belong now. I will save as many lives as I can here and if I die in the process so be it. Even if you were to beg me to go or you didn't want to speak with me ever again because of my choice, I won't live my life with regrets." I told the man behind me as I pushed my body forward out of his grasp. 
Every footstep I took was heavy as I made my way back to that room. I felt my heart braking as I shut the door and locked it in place. Levi wasn't the only reason why I wanted to stay here. There were many soldiers that risk there lives for others that I could save from death on the front lines. I had made my choice to join some day years ago and I new that I would have to risk losing him in the process. He was alive and out of that underground prison now, that's all that matters. I wanted to be able to help him if he were to be injured in battle. To be close enough to support him at a distance was all I needed now. 
I collapsed down onto the bed wishing it wouldn't smell of him. I closed by eyes only to drift in and out of a dreamless state of subconsciousness.