Training has Begun

So I was now officially part of the Survey Corps and it had been several days that had gone by without speaking to Levi since I began my training. I would catch glimpses of him every now and then about on his duties but I was always too busy to talk with him. A part of me wanted to close this distance that seemed to had fallen on us but being near him was enough to get by.
I was part of Toby's squad and he had me training every day since I was assigned to his unit. Today It was going to be a bit different because I would be training on horseback. I felt a little intimidated being atop of one of those things with my 3DM Gear on. If I were to fall there would be no saving the Gear from being destroyed and I didn't want to imagine what the repercussions would be if anything went wrong.
I was to be meeting Bran, the abrasive one who bumped into me on that faithful day. Only this time Toby wasn't going to be here to save me. I was told to meet him at the stables where he would go over what I needed to know about the horses.
It was a beautiful day as I looked up into the cloudless sky as I made my way to the meeting point. The wafting smell of the stables grew as I aprroched. I wouldn't say it was an unpleasant scent. Definitely a unique one that I could understand why some people would hate to be on stable duty.
Bran of all things was one of the Vetraniraians for the horses. I thought it was silly, how a big burly man like himself had a kind heart towards those of four legs. Humans not so much. I wasn't sure how well this was going to play out without Toby. He was impressed with my 3DM skills and told me he was confident that Bran could teach me the rest while on horseback because that was what he excelled at. I had my fingers crossed that I wouldn't disappoint Bran. To think of getting on his bad side didn't sound like too much fun.
I entered the stable where there were stalls on either side that held the hardy steeds. He did say to meet him in the first barn on the left after I had eaten breakfast didn't he? I thought to myself as I slowly walked down the isle looking into each stall as I did so. I neared the final one with no luck and was about to turn back around when a noise caught my attention. Looking towards the sound I saw Bran walking through the gate that lead to the outside enclosure were the horses would be allowed to go out and pasture in the sun during the day.
"You're late." Was all Bran said to me as he unlatched the gate and closed it behind him. Not wanting to argue the matter one bit I decided to keep my mouth shut. "I'm so sorry, it won't happen again." Was all I could say to Bran.
"Can you tell me anything about why we use this breed of horse for our missions outside the walls?" He said with stern eyes. I thought back to all the books I had read and one sentence floated out of my head.
"I do believe one of the reasons we rely on this breed of horse is because of there temperament. They stay calm in stressful situations, even in front of Titans." I stated, hoping it was what Bran wanted to hear.
He looked a little off put at my answer as he crossed his arms over his broad chest. "That is one of the reasons, you must have studied a bit about the military beforehand."
"That's correct sir, I have always had in interest in joining one day." I said respectively to the man. A small grin appeared as if I had said something to please him.
"You know I'm not your superior there is no need for such formalities." He said down to me. This was the first time I had seen this man let his guard down in front of me and I loosened up just a bit. "I'm sorry I guess I'm still a bit confused on what to call people."
"The real question is, have you ever been atop a horse before?" Bran said as he walked past me disregarding what I had just said. I then quickly realized that he wanted me to follow as he began walking to the entrance of the barn.
"I have always wanted to try and Toby said you were the best at training new recruits." My voice called to him as my feet tried to mach his stride with no avail.
"Well it seems like Toby speaks highly of you. He told me that you could probably keep up with Levi and that's saying a lot. Let's just see how well you do when you're atop a horse with your 3DM Gear on."
My heart skipped a beat at the mention of Levi's name and the fact that Toby would say such a thing.
"I will try my best not to let him down then."
We walked in silence until we reached a poll in the ground with two ropes tethered to it. The horses at the other ends were grazing a short distance away.
"We will first start of with mounting and how to control where they go before I even allow you to get on one with your Gear so don't worry about that right now, alright."  I let out a sigh of relief as Bran started to untie one of the ropes. He wrapped it in neat circles and attached it to the saddle. "What's her name?" I asked as I approached slowly holding out my hand to allow the horse to sniff me. She nuzzled her nose into my opened palm most likely searching for food that was not there. The soft bristles that surrounded her mouth tickled and I let a little giggle out at her touch. "Her name is Mei, but how did you know that she was female?" Bran was becoming more interested with me every time I spook. I could see the curiousness in his eyes as he brushed his large hand down the neck of Mei. "I would have to say you would be an idiot to get a male and female horse confused." I said with a light chuckle.
"Well she will be your horse from now on so treat her well. When you feel like you have no one beside you she will be there." He said with a soft smile. "Its nice to meet you Mei I hope we can be friends, treat me well okay?" It was like she new what I was saying as she nuzzled into my shoulder. It was if the horse was asking me to get on. "All right, all right... are you ready to go?" I said lightly as I walked around her to the saddle, my hand never leaving her soft well kept hair. "Are you needing help to get on?" Bran questioned as he came close ready to assist. "No I think I will be fine. I'm small but don't let my hight fool you." I said smiling as  I reached for a strap on the side of the saddle and grabbing it tight with one hand. I lifted my left foot high off the ground and placed it in the stirrup and hoisted myself up onto the saddle with ease. Mei did well to stay still as I did so and I cooed her name as I reached down to pet the side of her mane. Bran was impressed with how calm I was as he stood there with his mouth gaping open. "If you keep your mouth open too long a fly might land in it."I said to him with a light chuckle at his appearance.
He closed his mouth shut after my words and looked slightly embarrassed. "Let's just get on with it then, I will be surprised if you could handle a full day of riding." He said turning to his own tethered horse and began uniting the rope.
After he was on his steed he turned his horse to me. "First thing you want to do is give her a gentle kick into the sides with the back of your heels. We want to pull lightly, not to ruff or she is going to get frustrated with you on the rines eather to the left or the right depending on witch way you need her to go."  
I nod my head, "Alright Mei lets go." I said as I softly placed my heels into her sides. She immediately moved forward and I held the reins tightly with both hands. She walked a few steps and then stopped bringing her head down so she could feed from a clump of grass.
"Now don't let her do as she pleases. You need to be firm and let her know who is in control." I heard Bran say over to my left. "Come on Mei this way" bringing the right side of the reins up and gently tugging. She automatically lifted her head up and started walking the way I needed her to go.
"Good now follow me" Bran said as he galloped in front of me. Mei followed suit and began to trot to keep up. I was a little jostled by the sudden movement making my heart skip a beat. It was somewhat uncomfortable as my body bounced up and down in the saddle. "Bounce with the horse as she moves use your feet to hold you up in the stirrups." The man in front of me called. I allowed my legs to push up on the stirrups making it easier to move with the horse rather then bouncing up and down. I think I could get the hang of this I thought to myself as we entered the forest of large trees. "Are you ready to pick it up a notch?" Bran yelled to me. "I think so!" I called up to him giving Mei a swift kick to her sides making her go from a trot to a full run. It was exelarating being atop something that moved so swiftly through the trees. It was easy once I knew how to control her and I began to think how I would use her speed to help propel me forward when I had my gear on. I kept a close eye on my surroundings knowing it would be crucial when I would be beyond the safe walls they had erected to keep everyone from the Titans.
We traveled through the forest at great speeds and soon broke are way to a large lake where we dismounted and let the horses rest. I was greatful to be off of Mei to rest my own body. "When we're on the outside we have safe check points but we still have to be conscious just in case so don't ever let your guard down y/n."Bran said to me as he walked over with his horse.
"I will keep that in mind always." I said in return as we brought the horses down to the edge of the lake to drink. We stood there in silence and it soon became awkward. "So how long have you been with the Survey Corps?" I asked hoping to break the silence that seem to had settled on us. "For about three years now, but it seems like it's been longer than that." His voice was sullen as he spoke. Was talking about this hard for him? "I don't get why someone like you would want to join. You know the death ratio don't you?"
He must of lost a lot of friends in those three years. I'm sure even if I were to explain he wouldn't understand.
"We live and we die that is the circle of life. My job here will be to try to save as many lives as I can in the process of my own death." I said to the man beside me as we both stared out over the water. The wind then picked up making the lake ripple with its wake and the silence rushed back.
"So you don't fear death?" He asked suddenly. I looked over to him and his dark brown eyes were staring down at me. "I do fear it but I can't live within that fear, that's why I'm here. I'm alive right now and that's all that matters in this moment of time. I want to be able to help when I'm needed. I promise I won't be a burden." I said with clarity. Bran smiled down at me and ruffled my hair. "I have a feeling that you may already be a burden to some." Was all he said to me and then turned back to his horse. "What's that suppose..." He cut me off before I could finish my sentence. "Let's get back before lunch." Bran said as he mounted his steed. "After lunch get your gear from the barracks. We will then begin training with it." With those last words he began to trot away.
I'm already a burden? I questioned myself, that can't be right? I thought as I quickly tied the rope to the saddle and hoised myself off of the ground. He was already some distance away so I gave Mei a swift kick to tell her to follow.

It seemed that we were taking a different way back this time. As the trees thickened and I had to doge the outstretched limbs. Was he testing me? I let my body slip to the side of the horse squeezing my thighs together to hold tighter so I wouldn't fall, as I narrowly escaped injury from a tree limb that was blocking my path.
Mei must know where she was going because she stayed on corse. But where was Bran? There was suddenly a large tree root sticking out from the forest floor. Is she going to jump it, oh god this is not going to be good! The horse leapt into the air and my whole body flew skyward with her. I shrieked in relization that I was no longer on Mei as my body continued to ascend higher in the air. My arms reached upward for a limb, knowing it was out of reach as I started to plummet back down. Shit this is not going to end well as a closed my eyes waiting  for the impact  that was soon to come.
There was a sudden noise that was all to fimilure and a strong arm was wrapped around my waist. It whisked me away as it pulled me from danger.
We landed a short distance away and the person dropped me to the ground on my hands and knees. "Th-thank you" I said all flustered. I rolled over and sat up to see who had rescued me.
Levi stood there looking down at me. His eyes staring coldly into mine. He didn't say anything to me as he turned and shot off the ground with his 3DM Gear. My heart slowly began to ache as I watched him dissaper in the thick trees that surrounded me. I cluched at my chest wishing the pain to go away. I only then realized how hard it was going to be.
I heard the thudding of footsteps run up from behind me as I sat there in the dirt.
"Y/n? Are you okay?" It was Bran's voice.
Holding back the tears that stung my eyes I looked over my shoulder at him.
"Whats wrong? Are you injured?" He said rushing around to face me and put both hands on my shoulders looking me over with worried eyes.
"I-I'm fine, thank you for your concern." I said quitely letting my hand drop to my lap.
"Let's get you back to headquarters, we can start training on the 3DM Gear tomorrow. I think you have had enough for one day. I'm sorry I made you come this way." He said taking one of his hands off my shoulder and offering it to me. I took his large hand in mine and I felt so small compared to Bran as he lifted me off the ground like I was a feather. He guided me back to Mei that was happily grazing a little ways down the trail. "Are you sure you're okay? You look pale." He said as he helped me up onto her.
"I will be fine after I rest a bit, so please let us continue later after lunch." I felt that if I were to take the rest of the day off my mind would only be filled with the coldness I saw in Levi's eyes. I wanted to stay busy and what better way to do that then train.
"No, that won't be possible." He said curtly and went back to his awaiting horse.
"We will take it slow the rest of the way." And it was final that I would not be doing anymore training today.

My mind drifted in and out of thoughts of Levi as we road in silence. I felt completely defeated and on the verge of tears. The way he looked was all it took to make me feel like I had messed up somehow.