The Path We Walk

We leaserly made our way to Erwin's office our fingers interlocked together. We shall face life head on no long by ourselves but side by side. I began to feel my face heat up as we passed the other cadets on there way to the mess hall for breakfast. Was this alright to be doing? Would it be accepted for Levi and I to remain together? Questions swarmed my mind as we continued our steady strides onward.
Levi seemed confident heand I felt his hand lightly squeeze my own. It was funny how something so simple could calm my mind so quickly. He had always been good at sensing whenever I had started to have doubts.
"Oh don't you two look cute together." Someone said behind us suddenly. Levi let go of my hand and ushered me behind him as he turned towards the voice. Hanji stood there before us with a large smirk spread across there face. "I've never seen this side of you Levi, it soots you much better then that mopey face that you usually wear." Hanji said teasingly and Levi instantly began too glared back.
"This has nothing to do with you." Levi said calmly and then turned back around and grabbed my hand again yanking me forward. "Have a good morning Hanji!" My voice carried to them as I was pulled away down the hall. "Don't encourage that git y/n." Levi grumbled and I couldn't help let a laugh escape from my lips. He scoffed as he slowed his stride so I could walk next to him. "You two seem to be close." I teased the stoic man.
"You will be punished next time you suggest such a unpleasant thought." I couldn't see his face but knew he it held a smile. Levi may not seem to look like he cared about what Hanji had said but I could see right through him. Hanji was plain as day one of his close friends, weather he wanted to admit it or not. It was possible that there friendship had never really been established but an unspoken mutual agreement was made sometime ago without words. I thought to myself with a smile. He may be a man of little words but is actions make up for it.

"Now y/n, let me do the talking. I know how confrontational you tend to be when things don't go your way." Levi said to me as we reached the door to Erwin's office. He looked upon my face and his eyes softened. "Are you worried?" He said gently moving a stran of hair from off my cheek and tucking it behind my ear. His sudden touch lingered on my skin and I took a large breath. He knew me all to well. "Alright I will contain myself." Nodding at Levi with a slight pout on my lips. "Now don't be making a face like that, you can give someone the wrong idea showing such a vulnerable look." Levi said as he ran his thumb across my bottom lip. "Oh? Well you know your the only one I could let see me at my weakest." Before I could stop myself my toes pushed upwards from the ground and my lips gently grazed Levi's. His eyes widened with surprise as the bottom of my heals touched back down and I gave him a devilish smile. "Shall we see what fate has in store for us today?" I said as I reached out for the large brass door knob, feeling more confident then I did before. I gave the wooden door a couple of hard knocks and waited in anticipation for an answer from within the room.
The voice of Erwin was muffled but coherent as he told us to come in and I turned the handle pushing open the heavy door.
"Ahh, I knew it was going to be a matter of time before I would have the pleasure of seeing you two in my office together." Erwin said with a slight grin on his face. He was sitting in his usual spot behind his desk with a pile of official looking papers in front of him. "I have a feeling I already know what this may be about." His eyes glanced to our hands that were tightly clasped together. I found it hard to read what was going on behind that look of his.
"If you already know then I don't need to explain the situation. I came to you today to ask if y/n be placed into my squad."
My head shot to the side to look upon Levi's face that was starring directly at Erwin. My heart quickened as I darted my eyes back to Erwin then to Levi again. He hadn't mentioned a word of it to me. I then looked back to Erwin to read his face but his expression held nothing on what he was thinking. The air in the room buzzed as I tried to grip what Levi wanted from Erwin.
"Y/n is to be going on a training mission with Toby's squad at the end of the week. So I will have to deny your request for now."
'For now' was the word I held on to. Does that mean I will be able to watch over Levi in the future? It was a no for now with the possibility a yes later down the road?
Levi stood there with a blank look upon is face his jaw slightly clinched.
I stepped forward without thinking. "So when I get back I will be placed on Levi's Squad?" I questioned.
"We will determine your worth when that time comes. For the remainder of your time here I wish for you to continue your duties set for you my your lieutenant."
"But.." I began but as the word began to leave me Levi interjected with a hand in front of me silencing what I was about to say.
"We understand."
"If you understand then you are dismissed. Y/n please report to Toby where he will debrief you." Erwin said with a nod.
"Yes sir." Left my lips quickly as a wave of sadness envelope my racing heart. I turned to Levi to leave but was surprised to see him still standing forwards facing Erwin with a piercing gaze.
"May I make one final request Sir?" His voice didn't falter.
The man sitting behind the desk gave a nod in Levi's direction signaling him to continue.
"Please allow y/n to stay with me in my room for the remainder of the time she has here." He said as he bowed deeply before Erwin. My heart began to speed up and I followed Levi's lead and did the same.
The chuckle coming from Erwin was soft but I continued to look down at my feet.
"Being irrational are you now Levi? I'm not going to deny you your happiness but take heed that we live in a life that has no happy endings for we are at war with something we don't truly understand. Do as you like as long as it doesn't affect your duties. You two are dismissed."
Erwin's truthful words confirmed what I had been feeling this morning and what little happiness I had been This world we lived in was cruel and sad with death that lingered around every corner. A tear rolled from off my cheek and fell to the wood floor.
"The reason I fight is for the people who are to weak to do so themselves. I hope for the generations that come next to be free of this worlds fears of losing all that is precious to them. I want to live next to the one I cherish and love the most, even if my fate is to die for the freedom everyone else deserves."
I looked up to see Levi standing tall, eyes unwavering from his resolve.
"You are truly remarkable Levi. I expect nothing less from you." Erwin nodded humbly and looked to me with a gentle smile.
"Thank you Erwin." Was the last thing Levi said as he took me by the hand and led me out of the room.