I Promise

Toby was waiting patiently for me at the main desk. I approached slowly giving me time to think what I should say to him. I noticed him looking up at the large stain glass windows with a serious face. I wonder what was said between Levi and him after I left.
"You needed to speak with me?" I questioned making him turn toward my voice.
He smiled slightly at seeing me. "Is it okay if we take a walk?" Toby said as he nodded toward the exit.
"I suppose I can join you. It's not like I really have a choice, right?" I said playfully, trying to lighten his mood. I could tell that he had something important to say to me and I was a little frightened of what it could be.
I followed behind him at a short distance. He kept his strides short in order for me to keep up. We wandered out of the inner castle walls and made our way to a large open space. The one that they would do hand to hand combat training with the cadets. I was somewhat confused on why he would bring me here of all places?
"Are you ready?" Toby asked turning to me.
"Ready for what?" I said with my eyebrow raised quizzically.
"I need you to be prepared for any possible outcome when where outside the walls and the best way to see your potential is hand to hand combat. Now come at me." He said standing there waiting for me to advance.
Why? I thought he wanted to talk to me about what happened between Levi and I.What was all this really about?
"If you're not going to attack first, then shall I?" In a blink of an eye he was right in front of me. Panic hit as he reached out and grabbed my wrist, twisting it around all while moving his body swiftly so he was now pressed up against my back holding my arm in place. "You need to be ready for anything." I heard him say over my shoulder. I struggled against his strength trying desperately to free myself from his clasp.
I reached for his head with my free hand but he grabbed it. "What the hell does this have to do with anything?" I said as I tried to wriggle myself free from his strong hold. Toby let go suddenly and pushed me from him. I stumbled slightly from the force but quickly regained my footing and I whipped around so I was facing him. He wasn't playing around this time I could tell he was serious as I looked into his piercing eyes. "You need to stay focused." He said slowly.
My frustration began to build. What was the point of all this? "Don't take me lightly just because I'm a girl." I told Toby as I hunched down with my arms out ready for him this time.
He let out a small chuckle at my stance, sending me over the edge. Instincts kicked in and my feet dug into the ground. I shot forward and went to his left hoping he wouldn't be anticipating what my next move would be. My intuition was correct as his right fist went out. Everything seemed to freeze in place and I quickly mapped out what I was going to do. Right as he was about to make contact I ducked and blocked his arm that was outstretched toward me, making sure not to slow my speed. I pushed off the dirt with my feet and I was airborne, my left hand reaching for his shoulder. I looked down at his face that held a shocked expression on it as I grasped tightly using him as leverage to lift me off the ground. I swung my body around him so I was now on his back. Wrapping my legs around his middle I squeezed as my right arm went around his neck to put him in a hold. He fell to his knees choking as I started to apply pressure around his throat. Toby reached his long arm up and his strength was to strong for me as he ripped my arm away. My legs rotated with his pull and before I knew it he had me pinned to the ground with his lower arm pressed hard against my neck.
"Pretty good for your first time." He said breathing deeply.
"You're naive to think that this was my first time having to fight someone." I spat at him angrily. I didn't expect it to turn out like this, I felt as if I was a fly caught in a web. If I were to struggle now I would only be more intwined.
Toby rolled off of me and started to laugh. "You always say the funniest things y/n."
"Why did you bring me here Toby? What's this really about?" I questioned the man as I sat up and looked at him. There had to be a meaning to all this or we wouldn't be here right now.
"I need you to stay focused on what lies ahead. I can't allow you to carry on as you are now if you're not completely positive on why you joined in the first place." He said softly as he let his eyes scan over the sky that was slowly fading to black. I knew he wanted my resolve but I didn't know how to answer him. There were a mix of emotions that I was feeling as I continued to look at his distinguished profile.
"Let's talk more about this topic tomorrow, I'm hungry now." Toby said as he turned his eyes to me with a gentle smile. He was allowing me time to think carefully on why I was here, what my purpose was. I couldn't help myself but smile down at my Lieutenants face, thankful that he was a patient man.
"Food does sound good right now." I felt my stomach give a silent rumble as I got up off the lawn and extended a hand to him. "I promise, you will have my answer in the morning Toby."