Chapter 6

"I don't like vegetables!" Naoki whined, "They taste weird! Bleeh!"

"But they are good for you. Come on, open up," Reika tried to spoon feed him broccoli. He clamped his hands over his mouth and shook his head no. She sighed at the hopelessness in this situation.

"Wow, you are going to be a terrible mother," Mika teased. The girl sent him a sharp glare making him raise his hands in mock surrender. She continued to try and persuade the little boy to eat his veggies.

"Come on, please Nao! Don't you want to be strong when you grow up?" Reika questioned waving the broccoli in front of his face. He stubbornly shook his head no.

Mika opened his mouth and ate the spoon full in her hand as she wasn't looking. She glowered at him while he just shrugged, "I wanna be strong, too."

Huffing in annoyance, she set the plate and spoon down then carried Naoki from the ground. They were currently outside the castle having a picnic in a gorgeous meadow, no vampires in sight. Well, other than Reika and Mika.

"What is it going to take for you to eat your vegetables?" She questioned.

"I don't like broccoli," the little boy stated.

"We will give you candy if you eat it," Mika compromised.

Naoki's eyes lit up and he obediently followed his orders. Reika watched in shock as he ate the whole plate. They had been arguing for almost ten minutes and that's all it took? Candy?

"Anything you want to say to me?" Mika asked teasingly, wanting a thank you from her. She gave him a 'really' look before speaking sarcastically, "Oh, thank you o so kind and gracious man. I am in your debt."

"Yep, you owe me," he grinned. She rolled her eyes and elbowed him in the stomach.

"Done! Now, where's my candy?" Naoki asked excitedly. Mika paled at the question, not knowing what to say as the boy looked up at him with puppy dog eyes. Reika swooped in and saved the day, "I'll bake you some cookies tomorrow, okay, hun?"

The little boy nodded then raised his arms, signaling he wanted to be picked up. She bent down and carried him in her arms, patting his back soothingly. They packed up their stuff then headed back to the castle.

As they were walking back, they passed by the children who was playing in the courtyard. They stared at Naoki as he passed, wondering why a boy was willingly letting the vampires take care of him.

A group of young boys emerged from the children, glaring at the little boy in the woman's arms. Naoki recognized their faces immediately and his eyes widened in fear.

"Well, well, if it isn't little Naoki. So you are a vampire's pet now, huh?" A boy sneered, "how pathetic." His friends around him agreed.

Reika stopped in her tracks. She was shocked as to how cruel these group of kids were. Feeling Naoki start to shake in fear, she turned around and glared at them. They flinched at the menacing look they had received.

"Who do you think you are, bullying this kid?"

The boy that had made fun on Naoki spoke shakily, trying to act confident, "He's weak. He's more like a girl. He gets special treatment from the vampires. He is no longer on the human side. He's a traitor!"

Naoki started to cry silently into her shoulder. Reika could feel the tears damp her dress and couldn't help but to feel angered by these small humans. Yes, Naoki is receiving special treatment but that didn't give them the right to call him a traitor. He was abused when she had found her. He is an exception.