Chapter 14

Even though soldiers surrounded them, ready to attack, Reika couldn't keep her eyes of Yuu. Shinoa had her arms around his unconscious body, staring at him with love laced in her copper eyes. A little anger wavered over the vampire, wishing she was the one embracing him.

A sudden pain pierced her mind. She winced and clenched onto Mika's cloak tightly, burying her face in his chest. She could feel the darkness trying to push through but now that she's found Yuu, she's determined to stay in control. Still in his arms, Mika glanced at her in worry, tightening his protective grip around her as he glared at the soldiers.

Kureto Hiriagi turned to his men, fiery burning in his red eyes, "Let's go! Take the nobles alive! We need to show them to the marrow what happens to those who go against the humans, the Japanese Imperial Demon Army, the Hiragi family."

Glancing back towards the vampires, a pompous smirk on his face as he ordered, "Attack."

And just like that, all soldiers ran towards the vampires. Their mighty strength in numbers outpowered the supernatural beings. Though they fought to their best abilities, it was clear that there was only one choice to do.

"Retreat!!"

The vampires fell back. Kureto Hiragi sighed, noticing that none of the nobles were captured. They would be proven useful when giving information about their race and their hideout whereabouts.

"The girl in the noble clothing," Guren spotted her, "She's injured. We may be able to catch her alive."

Losing Mika in the hectic crowd, she shouted his name in hopes of finding him. Hearing him yell back, she tried to follow his voice, shoving panicking vampires out of the way. Her vampire speed was weakened due to the grave wound, only being able to run as fast as any human. She saw Mika and Ferid from afar and breathed out in relief, picking up her pace as she ran towards them.

"Top priority: Capture the injured noble alive!" Kureto ordered, sending Guren and his men towards her.

Upon hearing this, Reika glanced back and saw soldiers running after her. Her eyes widened in fear. She wasn't a noble but anyone could have mistaken her with that because of Ferid's fancy clothing that clung to her body. Being distracted for a moment, she tripped and fell, colliding painfully into the ground.

"No! Reika!" Mika panicked, having to be held back by Ferid as he watched her get surrounded.

Reika gazed at the soldiers, terrified, as they circled around her, pointing their weapons towards her. She desperately searched for a way to escape but found none. She had dropped her sword somewhere along the way, leaving her defenceless.

She saw a familiar face. Guren stood in front of her, an unreadable expression on his face. He advanced towards hiding something behind his back as he did. Even though it was his duty to question her about the things that would benefit the army, he had his own questions in his mind. Why did she save him? Who was she? How did she know Yuu? Why did she ask him to kill her? Many more filled his mind as he gazed into her blue orbs. He knew the girl that had saved him was in front of him.

"You.." she murmured in recognition, standing up. The soldiers made a move to stop her but Guren raised his hand, signaling them to stop.

She smiled at him, "Thanks for taking care of Yuu-chan."

Leaning towards him, she placed a chaste kiss on his cheek. He stilled for a moment, her lips making a warm buzzing feeling erupt in the pit of his stomach. Pulling away, she took a step back, wondering what he was going to do next. For some reason, she felt as if she could trust the man in front of her.