Chapter 12

As the battle continued, vampires and humans alike were dying before Reika's eyes. She felt no remorse, no humanity evident on her face as blood splattered against her cheek as she took down yet another human.

Mika and Guren fought recklessly, attacking one another with incredible skills. Wanting the leader to be dead, Reika joined them. It was now Mika and Reika versus Guren. The leader could tell he was at a disadvantage. Staring into her cold blood red eyes, Guren couldn't help but to think about how she had asked him to kill her before 'something' would take over. She changed his perspective of vampires and also saved his life. He knew he owed her.

"Watch out," Ferid warned, "before they pull the rug underneath you."

Glancing down, Reika noticed almost string like material scattered around them. If the strings were pulled, they would definitely die. She was about to flee but hesitated, looking over at Mika who would be caught in their trap. Her dark side told her to leave him yet something screamed inside of her not to.

Without thinking, she yanked Mika by the arm and leaped into the air. They jumped a great distance, using their inhuman strength as a vampire. The strings were pulled and managed to graze a small cut on Reika's face. She clicked her tongue in annoyance, it not healing immediately because of the demon weapon.

"You saved me..?" Mika's statement came as a question, confused as to why she had done this. He knew of her no humanity. What had brought her to save him? His eyes widened at a thought, "Reika? Are you still in there? The old one I knew? Are you fighting inside?"

"Don't be ridiculous," she scoffed, feeling the taste of her bitter lies on the tip of her tongue, "The Reika you knew is gone. You are the only source of entertainment I have. I just didn't want to lose that in this boring world. It's quite amusing watching you fight for the girl you used to know.. And foolish."

That didn't erase the dash of hope that flickered through his eyes, not even after hearing her cruel words. He clung on to the hope that she was still there, inside, laying dormant for now.

"Damn," Guren cursed, realizing his plan to capture the vampire lady had failed. He had the intention to capture her and bring her in for questioning. He had questions he wanted to ask. Like why did she save him? Why had she changed? Who is she?

"Mika, can you be a dear and take care of the leader for me?" Reika asked, mocking a sweet voice as she batted her lashes innocently. Even before she had turned off her humanity, she knew he could never resist her.

The blonde vampire nodded, a look of determination crossing his face. He clenched his sword tightly in his hand, thorns wrapping around his arm. He strided towards a wounded Guren.

The leader glanced towards his pocket watched, sighing, "Looks like I need to take two pills."

"You can't, Lieutenant Colonel Guren!! You could die if you take them!" One of his subordinates shouted, fighting against a vampire.

He stood up shakily, using his sword to hoist himself up. Pain was all he felt, blood seeping from his wounds, "We will end up dead even if I don't take it. We will have to kill them before the pills wear off."

"Are you done talking?" Mika asked in annoyance, walking towards him, "I'm coming to finish you off."

"Well, aren't you polite?" Guren asked sarcastically then added, "But can you give us a little more time?"

"How much more?"

"It's time to take our medicine so if you could be quiet for 20 seconds I'd-"

He was cut off as Mika lunged towards him, their swords clashing against each other as Guren barely held him back, his grip shaky on his weapon from the amount of damage sustained on his body.