Chapter 9

Reika awoke, regaining bits and parts of her memories. She winced, a migraine present in her head as she sat up and stretched, yawning softly. She realized she was in Mika bedroom, the sweet smell of him etched into the covers. Her clothes were also changed. Blushing madly, she was about to stand up but stopped once she noticed something.

Feeling a lump beside her, she saw that Naoki was resting beside her, his small body curled up beside hers. She frowned as she saw tear stains on his pale cheeks. Gently stroking his ebony hair, her eyes brightened as Naoki smiled in his sleep, feeling the warmth of her hand.

She spotted Mika, sleeping soundlessly on a chair on her bed side. Dark bags were under his eyes and he had present worry lines. She leaned towards him and poked his cheek. He stirred slightly before waking up, his eyes widening as he saw her awake.

"Reika..!" He leaped from his chair and pulled her into a hug. She froze in his embrace. Realizing his sudden actions, he pulled away and blushed, scratching the back of his neck nervously, "Errm, sorry. It's just that you've been asleep for a more than a day and I guess I missed you."

She smiled, "I remembered my family and the boy. I had a mother, father and a little brother. Even though I don't remember everything, I'm happy to know what I know now."

Mika was about to reply when the sound of the door opening was heard. Ferid walking in with a cunning smirk on his lips, flashing them his sharpened fangs. The noble took in their suprised expression and waved playfully, "hello again, Reika."

The girl jumped out of bed and took a protective stance in front of Naoki. She knew that Ferid was the type of person to just kill for fun. He would kill Naoki without even blinking. She sneered and eyed him carefully.

"Don't worry, my dear. I am not interested in your human plaything. I think it's healthy. I had one too when I was your age," he mused, catching a glimpse of the sleeping child on the bed.

Straightening herself up, she relaxed from her protective stance but still blocked the little boy from the noble's view for caution.

"Mika, Reika, you have been assigned mission in order to succeed against the Japanese Imperial Demon Army. Fortunately, I will be accompanying Reika on her mission but Mika, I'm afraid you are on your on," Ferid stated, mocking a sad voice.

"But-" Mika tried to protest, wanting to be able to join Reika so he could protect her.

Ferid interjected, "Queen's orders."

He sighed in defeat, knowing if it was a command from Krul, he couldn't refuse.

"How long will it take?" Reika asked worriedly, not wanting to be away from Naoki for a long period of time.

"Perhaps a couple of days. I shall go pack our things. We depart in an hour," Ferid said then walked out the door, leaving them alone to panic. Even though he didn't want to admit it, the noble could feel excitement settling in him, knowing that the girl and Mika would be separated. It would on be him and Reika. With that thought in mind, he ordered some men to prepare for their journey.

"Mika, what are we going to do? Leave Naoki alone?" Reika panicked, the thought of the cruel kids eating away at her.

"It's not like we can bring him with us. It would be too dangerous. Our best option is to leave him with the other children," he stated.

"No! I won't allow it," she denied, her voice gradually getting louder, "something could happen while we are gone! I first found him all beaten up! If I hadn't been there he would've died! What if something happens and we won't be there? I can't lose him!"