I Love You

Superboy groaned as he tried to sit up.  Psimon and Queen Bee had sent Klaricon to cast a spell on M'gann.  He had pried into her mind and prayed on her worst fears and insecurities, bringing them out from where she'd tried to bury them, destroying her from the inside.  M'gann slowly changed into an evil monster, shifting her skin white, her eyes red, her teeth pointed, and her hair into a long ponytail sprouting from the top of her head.

He looked around him.  All of the other Team members were sprawled out on the ground, evidence of their failed attempts to reach M'gann, while she stood atop a crumbled pyramid in the ancient temple, ready to use her mind to open a portal to another dimension—an evil dimension.  Conner stared up at her, her eyes closed in near total concentration.  He had to get through to her, before she did something she would regret.  Even if they weren't together, she needed him.  He got up to his feet, ignoring the pain in his bones and on his skin, and began to walk up towards her.

Klaricon laughed when she saw Superboy limping towards him and Miss Martian.  "And what are you going to do?  Ask her to the prom?  Sorry, but I think she's a little preoccupied at the moment."  Conner ignored his insults and kept walking until he was only a few feet from Miss Martian.  She looked at him with an expression that was a mix between angry and confused.  "Who are you?"

"M'gann, its me!  Its Conner!", he exclaimed.  "Don't you remember?  You gave me that name!  You gave me everything!"  He shook his head.  "This isn't you, M'gann!  You're not evil!  Your heart is full of love and light!  I know, because I felt it, five years ago.  Your heart is so pure and good, that it saved me from a life alone, when I'd lost my way.  You befriended me when others kept their distance.  You taught me all the joys of being alive, showed me all the wonders of the world.  I was created for evil, programmed to destroy.  But you...you taught me how to love."

Tears were running down his cheeks as he gazed at the alien girl, who was stunned.  Team members were beginning to wake up and see Conner standing in front of her as he continued.  "You didn't give up on me, and I'm not about to give up on you!  Whatever Klaricon's done to you, you have to break free!  You have to come back, because...because..."  He had to do it.  He had to tell her before it was too late.  "...I love you."  Once those words were out, Conner, broken down and weakened, collapsed to the ground.

Klaricon laughed his head off.  "Aw, how sweet!  What a Hallmark moment!  But we've got work to do!"  He whipped his head towards M'gann and gasped.  "What are you doing?!"  Miss Martian was shifting back into her usual form and using her powers to close the portal.  "NO!"  At last, the portal was completely sealed, and M'gann threw Klaricon back with a blast of telekinesis.  She floated to the ground, his spell over her broken.  The Team all got up and ran over to embrace their freed friend.

"Wait!"  M'gann pushed through the crowd to go to Conner, who lay motionless on the floor.  She gently picked him up in her arms, crying when she saw the bruises and cuts on his face and body.  "What've I done?"  She held him close to her chest and cried and cried and cried.  Suddenly, she heard a small, masculine groan.  She pulled away from him to see his eyes were beginning to open.  "You're alive!"  He sat up, groaning.  She looked at him, her eyes full of curiosity.  "Conner?"  He looked at her, massaging his neck with one hand.  "About what you said...while Klaricon had me under his spell...did you really mean that?"

He took her hands in his.  "I meant every word.  M'gann, you've been there for me my whole life.  Everyone else saw me as an unfinished project, an anti-social freak with anger problems.  But not you.  You didn't care that I was born in a test tube, or that I didn't have all of Superman's power.  You saw me for who I really was, and you worked hard to bring it out.  You believed in me when no one else did.  You're the kindest, most generous, most loving girl I've ever met."  He looked into her eyes.  "M'gann...I love you."

She blinked back more tears.  "I love you, too."  She flung her arms around his neck and threw herself into his embrace.  He wasted no time in closing the gap between them as the others looked on with knowing and satisfied smiles.  She felt her mind meld with his once more, her heart at peace with his familiar touch in her mind.  Conner stroked her hair and held her closer.  He finally had his Martian back, and he was never going to let go of her ever again.

I actually had a dream about this scene.  It was vague, but basically it was Conner trying to reach out to M'gann who had turned evil for some reason.  I hope you all enjoyed it!  I do not own YJ or DC.