Not Again

Another entry for Lizardgurl 's oneshot contest. I do not own YJ or DC.

M'gann walked down the hall, her nose buried in a cookbook.  Ever since she and Conner broke up and she started dating La'gaan, she didn't cook as much as she did when the Team first started.  She'd make little random meals now and then but that was it.  But it had been a week since the end of the invasion—and her relationship with La'gaan.  He was still harboring some resentment, but it wasn't as bad as before.

She entered the kitchen and walked behind the counter.  She put down her cookbook and looked before jumping up a bit.  She had been so involved in the recipes, she hadn't noticed that Conner was sitting on the couch, watching static on the TV with a blank expression.  M'gann bit her lip nervously.  They were on good terms again, but it was still awkward between them.

She looked at the TV and leaned over the counter.  "Um, do you want me to turn that on?"  He turned around, having not noticed her enter.  He stared at her before he said, "No, thanks.", and turned back to the TV.  M'gann turned around to start cooking, but something inside of her made her turn back around.  "Would you like to help me make dinner?"  "No.", he said, still staring at the television set.  She hung her head.  Just then, she heard a sound and looked up to see him getting off the couch and walking into the kitchen.

She gave him a small smile before picking up her cookbook.  "Let's see...we'll need sugar...a little butter..."  As she spoke, a sack of flour and a stick of butter floated out of the cabinets and into Conner's reach.  She gathered some more ingredients as she walked over to the open fridge.  "Salt, vinegar, cooking oil..."  She levitated some more things from the fridge around her in Superboy's direction.  "A dozen eggs, a few tomatoes, a bowl of flour, some vegetable oil, and two cups of-"

Just then, she heard a crashing sound from behind her.  She turned around to see Conner standing there, looking at her from under the metal bowl on his head, covered in all sorts of flour, eggs, tomatoes and other food products.  He dropped the things he was holding and spread out his arms as he looked at himself.  M'gann dropped her cookbook as she stared at him, her face feeling warm.  "Oops."

She grabbed a dishcloth and ran to him.  "I am so sorry!  I should've paid more attention!", she said as she removed the bowl from his head and wiped the stains from his shirt.  "Oh, why did I not see this coming?  Its already happened before!  Hello Megan!  I am such a ditz!"  She raised the cloth to his face.  "I...um..."

She hadn't noticed he was staring at her with those beautiful blue eyes of his.  M'gann could feel her heart slow down and her knees go weak.  It was exactly what it was like the last time this occurred, five years ago.  Their faces were so close together, and more accurately, their mouths were mere inches apart.  M'gann felt her brain turn to mush as she struggled to think of what to say.  Her mouth moved slightly, but no sound came out.  Oh, why must I always feel this way when I'm with him?, she thought.  He must think I'm some sorta airhead right now.

For what seemed like forever, the aliens just stood there, neither saying a word, unable to tear their gaze away from each other.  Finally, Megan hung her head sadly.  "I'm sorry I ruined your clothes.  I'm such an idiot.  You can go back to watching TV if you want.  I'll make dinner by myself."  She chewed on her lower lip, urging herself not to cry, when she felt two strong hands on her back.

She let out a nervous squeak as she was pulled in so that her face was a smidge from touching Conner's chest.  His right hand gently took her chin and tilted her head up to look at him.  He brought his face closer to hers, silencing her with his stare.  His mouth stretched out into a smile as he looked at her.  M'gann let out a breath she didn't know she had been holding in as she whispered, "Conner?"

Without a word, Conner pressed his lips against hers in a tender kiss.  M'gann let out a tiny "eep!", only to have Conner pull her closer to him.  He ran his mouth over hers as he stroked her short red hair.  After a few moments, she relaxed into the kiss.  She fell into his embrace, running her fingers through his dark ebony locks, stained with flour and eggshells.  They stood there for what seemed like the longest time, their lips locked together.

Finally, they broke apart for air, his hands still firmly planted on either side of her waist.  She smiled up at him as she moved her hands down to his neck.  He touched his forehead against hers, still smiling at her warmly.  I love you.  She giggled hearing his thoughts, knowing he had meant for her to hear it.  I love you, too.

All of the sudden, he swept her off her feet and into his arms and carried her over to the couch bridal style. He plopped down in front of the TV, pulling her onto his lap.  She placed her head in the crook of her neck and snuggled closer, their eyes closing in pleasure.  And that's exactly how the rest of the Team found them the next day.