Memories

"Superboy!", Robin cried. Lex had shot a chunk of Kryptonite, hitting Conner right in the center of his forehead. Robin and Blue Beetle ran to their now unconscious friend and carried him back to the Bio-Ship.

As they flew back home, he woke up halfway back and saw Jaime and Bart. "You okay, ese?", Jaime asked. Conner sat up straight. "Yeah...I just have one question..."

"Who are you two?"
----------------------------------
M'gann was baking crab cakes for La'gaan when Garfield led Conner into the kitchen. He pointed to his sister. "What about her? You know who she is, right?" Conner stepped in front of her, examining her and squinting to get a better look at her. M'gann was just about to snap at him to leave her and La'gaan alone when Conner shook his head.

"I've never seen this girl before in my life!" Her eyes went wide as she dropped the plate she was holding, not even hearing it shatter. "Y-You don't know me?" He shook his head. "Sorry, miss. Can't say I do. All I remember is getting hit in the head with something hard. Before that, its all a blur." She cradled his head in her hands. "You must have amnesia!" "Am-what?", La'gaan asked, standing from his seat. "Amnesia! It means he's lost all his memories!", M'gann explained. "He can't remember who we are!" La'gaan smirked. "You say that as if its a bad thing."
-------------------------------
"We've tried everything!", Dick explained. "Machines, flash cards, videos, going to his favorite places, even taking him to see old friends! Nothing works!" "Well, we have to do something!", M'gann cried. She buried her face in her hands, trying hard not to cry. Why are you so upset?, the little voice in her head said. This is wonderful! Superboy doesn't remember what you did to him! You can get back together, and never worry about him leaving you ever again!

Its not the same!, she thought. Conner isn't Conner anymore! He's not the same boy I fell in love with without his memories! Now he's just the shell of the boy I love! He doesn't know who I am. He doesn't remember me. I'm a stranger to him. "I'm sorry, Miss M,", said Nightwing. "But we're just going to have to accept the fact that Superboy isn't getting his memories back." Tears running down her face, M'gann flew to her bedroom.
--------------------------------
M'gann sat on her bed, a box full of special things sitting on her lap. This isn't what I wanted., she thought. Guess its true what they say...be careful what you wish for. "Hello?" Conner was in the doorway, looking at her sitting alone, sad and lonely. "Margret, right?" She sighed. "Its Megan." "Right."

He sat next to her. "What's in the box?" "Oh, just some knick-knacks of mine...they have sentimental value." He took the box off her lap and looked at it. Inside was a silver locket, a piece of torn-off prison orange, a Happy Harbor High school flag, and a dead red rose corsage. "What is all this junk?" He picked up the piece of prison orange, and that's when the flashes came.

Conner, in disguise as Tommy Terror, pressed his hand against the ice. M'gann, please...don't leave me., he thought. Moments later, the ice shattered, and M'gann, in disguise as Tuppence Terror, wearing an orange prison suit, fell to the floor. "A-Are you...?" "Its pretty cold where I come from. I'll be al-". He cupped her cheek and captured her lips in a loving kiss before she could finish her sentence.

Conner looked at M'gann, still staring at her lap. "W-We kissed...in Belle Reve." She whipped her head towards him. "Yes! Y-You remember?" He looked back in the box and picked up the school flag.

"Alright, Conner!" Megan, in her cheerleader uniform, ran towards Conner. His body was still dripping with chlorinated water, but she didn't care as she pressed herself to him. "You won!", she exclaimed, waving a Happy Harbor High School flag in her hand. "You and your team!" Conner smiled at her. "I'm glad you talked me into joining the swimming team!"

He blinked before taking out the dead roses and folding his fingers around them.

Conner tapped his foot impatiently as he sat on the sofa in the Cave. He wore a black suit with a long red tie neatly tucked inside his jacket, with gold cuff links and shiny black shoes. Finally, he heard footsteps. He stood up, turned around, and his mind went blank. M'gann wore a beautiful long red prom dress, with long ivory gloves and diamond earrings, her hair in soft curls with a sparkly barrette on the right side of her head. He walked over and slid his red rose corsage on her wrist. "You look amazing."

He looked at M'gann, who was staring at him in wonder. Could these miscellaneous common-place objects really be bringing back Conner's memories? She watched him closely as he gingerly picked up the silver locket. He slid his thumbnail into the slot and opened it. Inside were two tiny photographs—one of himself, and one of the Martian girl.  Her features were smoother, younger, but there was no mistaking it.  It was her.

Conner smiled as he held a little box, coated in gold foil and tied with a red bow.  "Merry Christmas, M'gann."  She untied the ribbon and opened the box, revealing a silver locket inside.  "Oh, Conner!"  She opened it to see their pictures hidden inside.  "I love it!"  "And I love you.", he said, grinning at her.  "I always will, no matter what happens."  She beamed and hugged him tightly.  "I'll always love you, too.  That will never change."  And with those words spoken, she pressed her lips to his.

At that moment, everything came flooding back to Conner.  Escaping Cadmus, meeting M'gann, going nuts in Biayla, his first day of high school, finding out Lex Luthor was one of his donors, defeating the Light on New Year's.  He looked at M'gann, a slow smile creeping on his face.  "I remember everything!"  She bit her lip nervously.  "Everything?"

He smiled at M'gann.  "I forgive you for that.  I also remember that you stopped.  I always knew you'd find a way, but I didn't get closer to you because you were with La'gaan."  "Well, La'gaan's a nice guy, but...he's not you."  She smiled at Conner shyly.  "I love you."  He returned her smile.  "I love you, too."