Chapter 13 | ✓

"Aline!" Daniel nearly shouts into the phone. I hear concern and a bit of anger in his voice. "Why didn't you call me, I thought I did something wrong."

Oops, looks like I didn't call him after he interrupted my kiss with Martin. I guess, I just got too carried away with Martin. Well, there are some good excuses for not calling him and I am surely taking on the opportunity to state them.

"A lot has happened, Daniel," I reply, saying his name louder than everything else in the sentence.

"Why don't you tell me?" he asks, his voice full of disappointment.

I think about telling him, he's my best friend after all. I have to tell, but he probably won't take it seriously. As well as that, I shouldn't trust him that easy, even though we have known each other for years and years.

But, I trust Martin. Martin knows everything and we have not even been together for one month. Isn't this a bit crazy? Martin knows every single thing happening inside me right now. And the best part is - he's trying to help me, get rid of my problems.

"It's too much to tell," I reply, secretly hoping to get away from the topic. "If you wanna hear it, better come to New York."

"Cheeky," he says and I can imagine a smile appearing on his face. "Oh, by the way I am coming for holidays, this will be in a week."

"Really?" I ask.

"Yep. You're lucky, you have holiday every single day."

"That's why I'm taking a year off. Gotta get all of my stuff together."

"Wanna Skype?"

"Sure."

"Be there in one minute."

The call ends and I look around the room, trying to gather all of my thoughts in one place. The only source of light is a small lamp next to my bed and fairy lights, so I switch on the main lightning. Cringing at the bright, a bit unusual light, I run my fingers through my hair, untangling the knots.

I am wearing a plain black t-shirt and pyjama bottoms, making me look like I am going to go to bed, although it's only about eight in the evening. I can hear my parents talking about something loudly downstairs and plates clicking against forks. Finally, they're having dinner together. That didn't happen for a long time.

My computer starts playing the catchy Skype tune and I click answer. Smiling at the camera, I see Daniel. Blonde and with striking facial features, he chuckles as he sees me. His crystal-white teeth bare, while the corners of his mouth rise in a grin. There is a messy bed, right behind him, but it wouldn't distract me that much.

"Hey," I say quietly, afraid to make my voice sound loud and powerful.

"Tell me," Daniel replies, running his fingers through his hair, which is slowly becoming messed up.

"What do you want to know?" I ask, grinning and making this conversation a bit funnier.

"Well, depends..."

"Ask."

"Fine. How did you manage to go to Ultra? You have always said that you couldn't."

"Won tickets in that lottery and just - flew right to Miami. It was awesome."

"Why did you break up with Marcus?"

"Uhm... Well, we were at this party and then... I went to the toilet, leaving him alone in his group of friends. I thought, I could trust him... I came back and he was with this girl, cheating on me. It was a huge shock for me. Everything from that night seems so surreal..."