Common Knowledge

Ginny P.O.V

It was after an excruciatingly long double lesson of Potions, in which "10 points from Gryffindor" was said countless times, even if I so much as batted an eyelid in Snape's direction, that I found myself at the quidditch pitch. The cool february air biting at my exposed skin - I really should have worn a jacket, although it wasn't exactly a planned trip. Ever since that day in the corridor, Snape had been horrible to me, more so than usual, and it kept me grounded to the fact that that day had not been a dream. I couldn't bring myself to think what it mean't for Snape, for Harry and for Lily. It was not my place to pry and I wouldn't like to intrude on something that is not rightfully mine to know - not if I wasn't told anyway. 

Snape had always been an interesting character to say the least, if by interesting I mean rude, and by rude I mean highly biased. Of course, Snape's' love for his own house - Slytherin - was what drove him to hate the Gryffindors so much, he hated the other houses too but not so much, as the rivalry between the two houses was famous, so famous that the arguments arose when Hogwarts was first built, at the time when Godric Gryffindor and Salazar Slytherin were both alive themselves. It was no secret that, despite that they founded a school together, both Godric and Salazar were far from friends, if not to be classed as sworn enemies. Back when the school was first built, it was said that a disagreement of education took place. Salazar Slytherin was of the impression that Muggle-Borns should not have been given the same education as those with 'more magical blood, a load of codswallop to tell you the truth. This caused a large argument between the four founders, as this inequality was not the intentions from which the school was based, as a safe place of learning for all witches and wizards. Salazar fled from the school in an abrupt spurt of anger and hatred for those he had made his fortune with, though he did leave something behind, something that would shatter my dreams throughout my first year. The Chamber of Secrets. 

I shivered at the thought of it. Hearing the voice of Tom Riddle, a voice that had haunted my dreams for the many years that followed and still to this day, made my blood boil, sending a shiver down my spine. 

"Hey Gin. Are you okay?" Lost in thought, I hadn't heard Harry arrive at the quidditch pitch, nor him mounting his broom. Nodding mutely, I continued to fly around the pitch, Harry following, enjoying the company of each other's silence. This went on for some times, eradicating all negative thoughts from my mind and replacing them with the peace of a beautiful evening. Harry on the other hand, seemed to be toying with the thoughts running this his mind as I could practically see the cogs whirring in his head. 

"Sickle for them"

"What?" Harry asked, seeming somewhat distracted.

"Come on. Tell me what's bothering you..."

"At Christmas, while we were at the Burrow the Minister wanted to talk to me. He gave me a proposition. I know you heard what he said, Ginny!" He continued over my protests, giving me a sly smirk, " I saw the ear afterwards. I just wanted to know what you thought of the whole thing?"

"Well....I think the Minister is deluded if he can just put you at the front of all this and all his problems would go away. Of course, it would be nice to believe that it's going to be as simple as you vs Voldemort, but then again, when has anything been simple? Think about it, it would almost be as bad if Fudge was still in power. You did the right thing Harry, that would have just added too much pressure onto you." 

Thinking I had said too much, I abruptly stopped talking. 

"Thanks Ginny, I knew you would be able to tell me what to do!" 

"Come on, Hermione is better at things like this than me," I said with a frown.

 "Give yourself more credit Gin. You deserve it." 

They was a pause, in which we both stared at each other, unsure of what to do, unsure of what to say. 

Clearing my throat I said, "Anyway I better go now, Dean will be waiting for me." 

Without waiting for a reply I flew off, before he had a chance to make me feel anything else. Here I was off to see my boyfriend, with Harry's eyes on my back all the way back to the school.

********************

I walked back up to the Common Room, dawdling as I went, though I'm not sure why I didn't want to get there and meet up with Dean. We had been arguing a lot recently and honestly I don't have the energy to fight anymore, I just want out. 

I could feel all the portraits eyes on me as I walked, hear their whispered conversations. The portraits held all the secrets of the school, they said. To be fair they had been through their fair share of troubles during my time at Hogwarts: there was the time the Fat Lady was maliciously slashed by the deceased Sirius Black, when Sir Calogen went through all that trouble with the Monks because they wanted their fruit back. They were nosy, were the portraits. 

 Arriving at the Gryffindor chambers, I quickly gave the Fat Lady the password (Weasleys Wizzbangers) and entered to see the Common Room teeming with people. As I entered I scoured the room for Dean, and upon seeing him sat with Seamus and his friends made my way over. 

"Dean." I called as I walked over.

"I've been waiting here ages. Been with Potter have you?" he scowled.

"And what is that supposed to mean?!" 

"You know what I mean. Always sat having you cosy little chats, playing quidditch together all night, it would be sweet really. If you weren't dating someone else. Oh wait a minute, that's me!" his friends laughed beside him, oohing and ahhing at just the right moments. 

"Been rehearsing this have we? Wanting to look good in front of your friends? Well, its pathetic and you know what Dean, grow up!" 

I walked off, hoping to leave the argument there as it was beginning to draw attention from the other students in the room. I would have rather not have my relationship issues broadcasted around the entire house, not to mention that fact that gossip spreads like wild-fire around here. But of course, Dean would not allow that. 

"Do you want to know what I find pathetic? Practically fawning after someone who might not even like you back!"

"Come on Dean, everyone has always known she likes him. You can't be that blind!" Emily rolled her eyes in Deans, direction. 

"I gave everything to our relationship Ginny! But it wasn't enough for you was it? It never was and never will be." the shouting had stopped now, and we both knew exactly what was coming. The end. 

"I'm sorry Dean, really. I didn't want to hurt you!" I sighed, having known it would eventually come to this. 

"I know. I know. Don't worry Ginny, your secret is safe with me." 

"Yeah, you and the rest of the Common Room!"