Chapter 4

The thing Adam most despised was thunder. Everytime it started raining, he'd have to move to higher ground to avoid drowning. Then the lightning would fork through the sky, and a clap of harsh thunder would follow. No matter how hard he tried, or how many leaves he pulled over himself, the thunder would terrify him. It always made him think that a giant was angry, and was looking for him. And as childish as he felt for thinking like that, he knew he had his rights to be so dubious.

Sleeping in the house didn't make it any better. His surroundings were still dark, strange; alien. Sure, it was raining outside and Adam was dry and warm, but something was missing; comfort.

A distant rumble of thunder made Adam's heavy eyelids lift, and his eyes fluttered open, staring into the dark interior of the house. He shivered and cowered under the cloth, cringing as the thunder cackled at him mockingly, making him quiver and squeeze his eyes shut. A suddenly loud bam made him yelp instinctively, and he slapped his hand over his mouth, freezing.  Slowly he poked his nose out and turned a little, blinking when he realized that Ty was on his side, watching calmly with his red eyes glimmering a blood-red in the dark.

Adam stared back for a few seconds before another flash of lightning lit the environment outside, and he squeaked, ducking back under his covers and trembling. A deafening clap of thunder made him jolt again, and he squeezed his eyes shut, shaking violently. He curled up in a fetal position, whimpering softly as his heart hammered in his chest.

His covers were pulled off of him, and Adam whimpered in protest, frantically trying to grab them back even though they were out of reach. Warm fingers curled around him, and he was lifted up, making him squeak in fright-- only to cut off with a flinch at more of the thunder's displeasure. He squirmed a little bit as he was set down on a soft surface, and he curled up in a tight little ball, covering his eyes with his hands as he continued to tremble.

He flinched when he felt something cover him, then relaxed with a shiver, calming down a little before resting on his side. Adam yawned as he started settling back down, and he rested his head on the soft surface beneath him, nuzzling it. It felt warm, almost radiating heat, and he could tell it was moving a little, up and down.

He opened one eye and slowly looked up, seeing that he was on Ty's chest, and the giant was looking down at him with concern and sympathy, his hand over most of Adam's fragile body. Adam blinked a few times before shifting a little, wriggling deeper under his friend's hand. Ty smiled a little and laid back fully, murring softly to soothe the tiny human. The sound reverberated a little in his enormous chest, and Adam slowly closed his eyes, yawning as the reassuringly soft noise drowned out the fear of the thunder, lulling him into a limp state of peace. His heart rate slowed, and he let out a soft sigh, stretching a little before closing his eyes and falling back asleep.

Adam didn't really know how long he slept, but he felt more rested than he ever had been. He hadn't slept near this good since the apocalypse, but Adam guessed that was because he was always on edge to survive.

When he quietly stirred awake, he was in a sort of hammock position, surrounded on almost all sides-- save for a crack above him-- with fabric. He blinked and daringly stroked one side lightly, realizing that it was the same textile as Ty's shirt, and he relaxed. He had a feeling that he was in the gentle giant's pocket. He yawned and turned over, dozing in the darkness for a while before he felt movement, and the next thing Adam knew he was being picked up by the back of his shirt and gently pulled out, settled on another ground with fabric and warmth.

He peeked open one eye and glanced around, noticing that the tv was on, and that he was on a grey surface. He turned back around, seeing that the grey fabric paused under a belt, to be replaced by a sea of white textile, and Adam looked up as he felt his back be gently rubbed.