Chapter 9

Adam's eyes slowly fluttered open, his golden-brown eyes making out his surroundings. It was probably around the afternoon, golden light beaming through a nearby window. He yawned and rubbed his eyes, slowly pulling up into a sitting position. After he woke up properly, he froze, suddenly realizing Ty's absence.

'Where is he?' Adam was so used to the giant hovering around, either watching him as he slept or holding him in his arms like a fragile child. As if Adam couldn't handle himself.

He slowly stood up, realizing that he was in Ty's bedroom, and that voices could be heard from the living room. Adam grew curious, and he climbed down off the bed to the floor below to walk across the room.

"... Can't do too much about it..."

"... Devastating for him..." Adam perked up at the familiar voices, and he dared past the door, following the wall before stopping just out of sight in the shadows, getting a better spot for eavesdropping.

"I want him to get to hang out with you too, but you remember what happened last time you saw a human."

"I-I know, it was scary for me too, I almost... I almost murdered someone. That's nothing like me, I just need more practice."

"Well... Let's just give it time, he's already been through a lot. I already told you about the chimera attack, but he hasn't said much else."

"... And... And Martin?" Adam's blood froze. What did Martin have to do with this?

"He's more bloodthirsty than ever," Ty sighed. "And that brush with his "pet" certainly didn't help either."

"... Does he know?"

"No, no he doesn't, and if he ever found out, he'd be devastated -" Ty had suddenly stopped talking, lifting his chin a little and turning his head to stare directly at Adam's hiding place. Adam ducked a little in guilt from in the shadows, knowing that he'd been made.

"Adam go back to my room," Ty said sternly. Adam felt like a string had been plucked inside of him at the paternal tone his friend suddenly had.

"Wh-what's going on?" He asked, taking a few steps out boldly. His eyes widened a little when he finally recognized who was with Ty.

"H-hey Adam." Jason gave the human a sheepish and slightly strained smile. He was close to Ty's size, but like when they were human, Ty still triumphed in height. He had sunglasses over his forehead like he sometimes did when creating music on his channel, wearing a familiar outfit of a simple white tee like Ty's (no black edges) blue jeans and a light blue jacket.

"Jason?" Adam meeped as Ian entered the room from the kitchen, holding a beverage. He suddenly realized how intimidating this was; one giant was bad enough, but three could easily overpower him without even breaking a sweat.

"Oh, hey Adam," Ian greeted, not noticing the tension in the room. Ty stood up.

"A-Adam, please... Wait for me in my room." His voice sounded strained, as if torn between protecting Adam and comforting him. But Adam didn't yield.

"Would someone like to tell me what's going on?" He challenged hotly, folding his arms over his chest in a defiant posture. Jason and Ian gave Ty hesitant glances, but Ty ignored them.

"Adam, please," Ty repeated, looking torn. "Just go-"

"N-no." Adam stood up straighter, not letting his fight-or-flight instinct cloud his judgement. "I wanna know what's going on. You're hiding something aren't you?" The accusation was rewarded with a flicker of fear in his friend's blood-red eyes, and Adam pushed harder. "If it has something to do with me, I have a right to know! I'm not a kid, and no one's the boss of me!" Ty didn't reply, only glowered at the tiny defiant human.