Chapter 8

(A/N I find that an old favorite song of mine, Eye of the Tiger, really suits Adam's perspective in this story, so I threw in a clip of someone called Jensen Ackles doing some lip-singing XD)

"Rising up, back on the street
Did my time, took my chances
 Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
 Just a man and his will to survive
 So many times it happens too fast
 You trade your passion for glory
 Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
 You must fight just to keep them alive..." Adam was softly humming to himself, sitting on the edge of the coffee table as he watched tv. Ty was in the kitchen preparing breakfast, so Adam had been left to himself to manage the massive remote left on the table he was now perched on, having had to stomp on the buttons with his entire weight before settling with something interesting.

"It's the eye of the tiger
 It's the thrill of the fight
 Rising up to the challenge of our rival
 And the last known survivor
 Stalks his prey in the night
 And he's watching us all with-"

"What are you watching?" Adam jumped and whirled around, seeing Ty staring cluelessly at the big-screen.

"It's a tv show called Supernatural." Adam shrugged. "It was the first thing I saw that was interesting, so..."

"Oh... what's it about?" Ty sat down and set down a plate of a warm meal of chinese food for the human, holding on to a bowl of noodles; Adam recalled perfectly how obsessed his old pal was with the sodium-soaked food.On the positive side, he missed the unhealthy food he used to be able to eat when the world wasn't screwed up like it was now.

"Um..." Adam furrowed his eyebrows as he sought out the words to describe it. "Well it's about these two guys who basically hunt supernatural beings, like in this one it's about a spirit who can infect people with fear." Ty had gone a little pale from the words "hunt supernatural beings," seeing that that was what he now was: a "supernatural being."

"... interesting," he finally replied awkwardly, plucking a noodle out of the bowl and popping one end of it in his mouth, slurping it up. Adam grimaced and looked away, deciding to focus on eating instead.

"You can change the channel if you want," Adam said meekly. Without hesitation Ty sweeped the remote up and started flipping through the channels, finding something for his entertainment. Adam shrugged it off and climbed onto the plate, picking up a piece of orange chicken and beginning to eat. His giant friend had settled on a show called Terra Nova before sitting back, feasting on his bowl of noodles. The more they got into the episode, the more Adam learned what it was about; basically a story where the world had grown so polluted that humans had to use a portal to go back in time to prehistoric earth.

'Would that really happen one day?' Adam shivered at the thought. 'Would the world one day become barren of plants, the air so thick to breathe that we'd have to wear oxygen masks? Would the world one day become deprived of all of its water, too many people depending on the planet for life?' He eventually finished his piece of chicken and sat back, full.

"You finished?" Ty asked. Adam nodded as he climbed off, and Ty picked the plate up to claim the rest of the orange chicken, setting the now-empty bowl aside to begin eating the poultry of his meal. Adam soon grew bored as Ty noisily ate, so he got up and slid down the coffee table leg, landing with a quiet thump. He bit his lower lip as he looked around the now-familiar furniture, wandering under the table. He spotted Ty's shoes and headed over to them, pausing to look up the thin-teenage giant. His jeans were pretty long, comfortably flowing down over the top of his shoes... Just low enough for Adam to grab onto.

Adam took a breath before jumping up, managing to grab the bottom of the fabric and haul himself up with his upper body strength. He continued until he could use his legs, then started climbing properly, as  if facing a simple sheer grey wall of rock instead of his best friend's pants leg. He had made it a good foot up before seeing Ty attempt a surreptitious glance, surprised to see the small human doing some "rock" climbing. Adam ignored him and finally hoisted himself over the edge of the giant's knee, struggling a little before Ty gently nudged him in assistance.