Chapter 1- Welcome Back To The DWMA

The dark swallowed him whole. Jeering voices tormented his ears as he tried to drag himself into the light. But it wasn't working. He saw his reflection in the mirror. He was small- a child- with crimson red hair spilling over his face with piercing green eyes. Those eyes, tear-filled and afraid, scanned the room as all suddenly became quiet.

Although he still knew he wasn't alone. Footsteps slowly approached him.

One. Two. Three. He counted the amount of times whoever was looking for him placed his foot on the ground. It was only a matter of time until he realised that he was cornered. All he had left was to turn around. Which he did.

A figure stood as a silhouette before him. He fell before the figure, sinking into the corner and cupping his ears with his hands.

"Why must you fall before me son?" The figure asked, his raspy voice was ghastly familiar.

"Leave me alone!"

"Pathetic boy. You make this way too easy. You deserve what you get as a punishment for what you did."

"No!"

The figure stretched out his arm.

"NO!''

And clasped his throat.

"Let me go! Dad! PLEASE!"

Two green eyes snapped open. The man sat shaking in his seat as he started to familiarise with his surroundings. He was at work- in his office. He had worked overnight and must have fallen asleep in the morning. The man picked up his watch.

It read 6:47 am.

"Good." The man whispered. "I'm not late."

All of a sudden, there was a knock on the door. The man opened it to see a plucky woman about his age, wearing an eye patch and holding a few files, smiling up at him.

"Ah Spirit! She chimed happily. "Stein said you were here all night. Are you okay?"

"Oh- Marie. Yeah.. It went okay though. Got a lot of work done." Spirit smiled, his nerves ultimately calming upon talking to his childhood best friend. "Fell asleep by 5 am though."

"I don't know if I could last that long." Marie giggled. Spirit grinned back, only to jump when a man placed a hand on his shoulder. Stein.

Dr. Franken Stein, or just Stein, is a peculiar man with grey hair and glasses- donning a white laboratory coat. However what made him all that odd was the stitches he possessed across his face, and a massive bolt that ran through his head. What was unsettling to most though was how he liked to crank it when he was thinking- and how he favoured experiments over any other activity. Spirit didn't see how Marie found him attractive, but he never questioned what love does to a person and respected her love for Stein and vice versa.

"Well you look a mess, Spirit Albarn." Stein said, point blank. Spirit frowned at his male best friend.

"I'm going home to shower. So if that makes you feel more happy-"

"I was only teasing." Stein smiled. Spirit laughed and shook Stein's shoulder.

"I know. But still I need a shower."

"Smell you later."

"Or not!"

Meanwhile, a young girl struggled to get something off the top shelf of a cupboard at home. On her tips of her toes, Maka Albarn tried to reach for the hairbrush that her cat must have inconveniently placed on the top. Still struggling, she was startled by a pair of arms wrapping around her upper legs and lifting her off the ground.