Chapter 10- Truth or Dare

The snow fell in blankets as the day turned to a pitch black night, the only light shone from the windows of the lodge.
Dinner was taking place in the dining room. A light sound of conversation-mainly Black Star's voice, and cries of joy at the perfect aesthetics in the room (naturally, spoken by Death The Kid himself)- filled the room alongside the gentle aroma of wonderfully cooked food.
Kami held a tray of food towards a door to a sick bay. Megara had just woken up, and her ankle bandaged- where she was bitten. She smiled at her meister.
"Hey!"
"How are you feeling?"
Meg looked at her foot. "Much better. Did Rinko get out okay?"
"Yeah. She's only got a surface wound on her leg. Poor Hero carried her back despite her telling him she could walk. Then again she was in shock. She's with the others now." Kami explained.
Meg acknowledged her answer before looking up. "I'm glad. What I saw was terrifying."
"What did you see?"
"Serpent eyes. They must have lured her elsewhere cause they were mesmerising- like a basilisk but minus the death." Meg continued. "I was nearly hypnotised by it- I swear by the holy spirits, it was evil. I broke free of its gaze and hit it, but it bit me and ran off. My memory is fuzzy though."
Kami thought. What could it be? Who could have this serpent creature?
Nothing was making sense.

After dinner, the students all gathered in the main room, dressed in warm pyjamas. They sat in a circle in the middle of the room. The top of the circle had Jackie, followed by Kim, Ox, Harvar, Pot of Fire, Killik, Pot of Thunder, Rinko, Hero, Tsubaki, Harvar, Black Star, Crona, Patty, Kid, Soul, Maka, and Liz.
"So." Jackie began. "Let's play a game."
"What is it?" Rinko asked. She had gotten her spirits back up and was recovering well.
"Truth or dare!" Jackie announced.
Voices fluctuated through the circle.
"Sounds like fun!" Patty giggled. She felt a pat on the shoulder. Crona looked at her.
"Hey, Patty? I've never played this before... What do you do?" He whispered to her. She smiled at him, making him blush.
"Well, you basically get a choice of telling the truth of a question or doing a dare."  She explained at a whisper. "I'm probably not explaining it well. Sorry."
Crona grinned back. "I get it now! Thank you!"
"Oh! Look at you two, whispering." Maka teased playfully, making a few laugh.
"Oh, ah. Yeah." Crona laughed. Patty's giggles followed. Liz and Kid exchanged glances.
Ragnarok erupted from Crona and continued to tease. "Look at ya, you soppy idiot!" He wheezed with laughter as Crona sunk shyly.
"Who should we begin with?" Kim asked.
"How about Harvar!" Jackie suggested.
"Uh.... Okay." Harvar spoke.
Jackie looked at Harvar. "Okay. Harvar: Truth or Dare?"
"Truth."
"Most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?"
"Uhh.... Probably when I called Marie 'mom' 3 consecutive times in one day."
Laughter erupted and Harvar shifted uncomfortably where he sat.
"I remember that!" Ox laughed.
"Please do Ox next, Jackie."
"Okay, Ox! You next. Truth or dare."
"Dare."
"I dare you to lick your own toes."
Ox looked horrified, his ego shattered. "S-seriously?"
"Yes."
Everyone watched as Ox removed his sock reluctantly and ran his tongue on his toes. He wretched.
Some people laughed. Others, such as Kid, felt repulsed.
"Okay who's next.... Black Star." Jackie pointed to him.
"Oh that's easy! Dare me to do anything!" The anything-but-subtle assassin announced in a huge dose of pride.
"Okay. I dare you to strip down to your thinnest clothes and stand outside for 2 minutes in the freezing cold."
Tsubaki looked horrified. "Hang on. That's kind of dangerous, isn't it?"
Killik sat with the Pots on either side. He spoke up. "Yeah she's right."
"I'll be fine." Black Star had removed his Pj bottoms to reveal shorts underneath and had only a vest on the top half. "Just you watch."
He walked outside and everyone observed from the window. He stood proudly outside, until he began to shiver. More and more, he shook. Until..
"GAHH!! IT IS TOO COLD OUT THERE!!" He ran inside and dived into his clothes again. "You're evil!"
"I'll give you that one!" Jackie laughed. "Tsubaki next!"
"I choose truth."
"What's the most outrageous thing you would do in order to achieve eternal happiness?"
"Outrageous?"
"Yes! The most extreme of extremes!"
"Hmmm this is a difficult one." Tsubaki pondered, as if being given a tough maths equation. "Either bathe in a freezing cold river, or set one of my neighbours houses on fire."
Everyone was stunned.
"Whoa, a whole house?!" Liz was stunned.
"Would your neighbours be in the house?" Crona asked.
Tsubaki remained deadpan serious. "It wouldn't matter if they were. Those neighbours tried to do the same to my family when I was young."
"Yeesh. That's pretty dark." Soul spoke. "But I'm pretty impressed. Eye for an eye, I guess." He laughed.
Jackie's eyes lit up. "Ah! Soul!"
"Oh god." He groaned.
"You're next!"
"I figured."
"Truth or dare?!" She exclaimed.
"Um judging by some of the dares you've been throwing out today, I say truth."
Jackie smiled. "Alright. Who are you crushing on right now?"
Soul felt his face burn intensely. He could barely speak. "Ah... Um..." He didn't know what to say. "Can I switch? Please?"
"Is it someone in this room?" Kim teased. Soul felt his eyes wander to Maka, who looked on- her own face pink. She looked worried.
"Please. Can I?"
"Okay... Only one switch though. So. I dare you to kiss someone in this room. Preferably the person you most feel comfortable kissing."
"Can't I just-"
"No returns, Soul. Do it! Do it!"
Soul shook.
He closed his eyes.
Each second dragged by like ten minutes.
The jeering and the pressure eventually got too much and without much thought, he turned and grabbed the person next to him and kissed their cheek.
He pulled away to see Maka in his grasp, who looked at him with large eyes- and her face a beetroot red.
Soul let go of her and hung his head.
"Soul..." Her voice cracked.
"I'm sorry, Maka."
Everyone looked at them in shock.
"You never said where to kiss them right? There. Done it."
Soul stood up, shaking. "I'm done."
He walked hastily out of the room. When he was out of sight, he began running into his room that he shared with Kid. He shut the door and slumped on the bed.
"I'm so stupid." He whispered to himself. His eyes filled with hot tears, which ran down and couldn't stop. "Maka." He pulled his knees to his chest and hid his head, choking with sobs- trying to be as quiet as possible.
The door opened slightly. Kid peered through the door. "Soul..."
"Kid."
"Jacqueline feels bad about the whole thing.." He began. "Are you okay?"
"I'm good... I'm okay. I just freaked myself out that's all. It's not Jackie's fault." Soul looked up at Kid, who joined him on the bed. with watery eyes. "I'm just scared that Maka hates me."
Kid shook his head. "She doesn't."
"I was too scared of saying because of..."
"Of what, Soul?"
"Of her never liking me back."
Kid wrapped his arm around his miserable friend. "Soul... You really love that girl, don't you?"
Soul nodded as he reduced to tears once more, unable to speak or shake the sobs away.
Kid felt his heart break. Never has he saw the usually calm and cool Soul have his self esteem in the gutter and breaking in such a way that he was right there and then. He'd never seen Soul cry. Not a single tear- besides the times Kid made him laugh heavily. Miserable was never in Soul's description. But that night, a different guy sat there.
"Want a hug?"
"Yes please."
So they did. The reaper sat with his best friend, who eventually calmed down.
"Kid?"
"Yeah?"
"Thank you."
Kid nodded. "I won't say anything to her about how you feel, either."
"You're the best."

Maka stood alongside Tsubaki and Liz, who happily chatted to each other. She couldn't make sense of anything right now. She needed answers. First off her father. Then off Soul. But she couldn't have the courage to.
Eventually, everyone else got tired and wanted to sleep. Maka remained in the room, gazing out of the window and watching the snow fall.
"Are you going to bed, Maka?" Tsubaki asked, concerned at how oddly Maka had been behaving all day.
"I'm going soon. I just need to think for a bit." She turned to Tsubaki and smiled gently. "I'll see you in the room in about 10 minutes?"
"Yeah!" Tsubaki agreed, before leaving her.
Her gaze went back to the window. Her mind immediately wandered to the kiss Soul gave her. She felt her cheek and smiled. "Soul..."
Her thoughts were interrupted, however, as something shifted in the snow.
Maka winced and glared through the window.
That's when she saw them.
Two big, yellow eyes. Staring back at her.

Soul and kid had long fallen asleep in a tangled heap on the bed, when they were startled by a rapid knock.
"You guys! Wake up." A worried voice called from the other side. Soul approached the door and opened it.
"Tsubaki, it's 3am. Is everything okay?" He asked sluggishly, before reading the shaken expression on her face. "Tsu? What happened?"
"She said she'd come into the room in 10 minutes after I left." Tsubaki was tearful, and shook. Kid joined Soul's side.
"Huh? Who? Tsubaki, what's going on?" Kid asked her.
"That was 4 hours ago."
"Tsubaki.. isn't Maka-"
Tsubaki began to cry.
"It's awful!"
"What?"
"Maka's gone missing."