Chapter 5- Memories

The latter had long disbanded from the Death Room, leaving only 5 people inside. Kamiki, Spirit, Stein, Marie and Lord Death still remained. It was relatively chilled and pleasant conversation was made.

Lord Death and Marie were settled, having some coffee and a chat. Stein seemed to loom around the other pair with a great amount of observation. It was only a matter of time, where Kami -who sat in silence with Spirt- had enough of her agitating nemesis.

"Will you stop loitering and make yourself useful? I'm feeling kinda nauseous here..." Kami stated, trying to keep calm. She couldn't help sound annoyed, however.

The strange professor cranked the screw that was attatched to his head and glared at her in curiosity. "What would you define as useful?"

"Being far away from here." Kami said, point blank.

He raised an eyebrow.

"How far?"

"Very."

"In inches?"

Kami stood up and gripped Stein by the collar, and she made her way to the door in an aggressive manor. She threw him out.

"Good." She screetched. "Now stay there."

Kami shut the door. Stein, however, still remained. Curious, he still was.

But what was he curious about?

Stein opened the door a crack and observed the ex-married pair who sat together quietly. They were trying to find the words to start a conversation. He observed their body language and how they seemed together.

'There's something about those two... Something...'  Stein pondered. 'Something is still there... I can feel it.'

"So Maka's grown a lot since I last seen her." Kami began, when she built up her usual confidence. She turned to Spirit and faced him. "She seems like she's very healthy too."

"Yeah.. I've been making sure she's been getting her medicine each month. I didn't want to be too overbearing. Soul.. at first I didn't like him.. but he looks after her. I've grown quite fond of the guy. He's pretty much the one looking after her when I'm unable, which is pretty much all the time now." Spirit spoke; his voice was quiet and hinted sadness. "I know that I screwed things up between us, which caused Maka to hate me as such.. and... I miss her. So much. But I can't change what's going on. It was me. It was all me, Kami." He balled his fist and refrained himself from slamming it into his leg.

Kami felt her heart sink.

"It's not your fault Maka's acting the way she is... Kids... They tend to be influenced with what they think is right." Kami tried to comfort. "Spirit, I feel that maybe I subconsciously influenced her. And I noticed Maka seemed a little disheartened just now.. about..."

"About what?" Spirit lacked understanding.

"You seemed upset about something, just before... And Maka seemed to notice it too... She seemed to be upset because you were. I generally think she still loves you, but you just don't think she does."

"Hm? Really, Kami?"

"Yeah. Maybe she doesn't realise how much she cares either, so she takes it out on you." Kami suggested. "I think that she gets that bit from me." She laughed.

Spirit smiled. "Yeah."

"But hey. You and her had some pretty good times." Kami said, enlightening the situation. "Like the time we all went to the river when she was 5, and she wanted to chase every dog that went past." She giggled at the memory, her face going pink.

His heart skipping a beat at her face, Spirit laughed alongside her. "Yeah. She was quite the wild child, Maka. I remember having to carry the poor girl back because she was too sleepy to walk."

"Yes! Also, on her 7th birthday, when she tried to climb that tree and you had to help her because she was too short."

"And the poor girl got scared so I had to help her down!"

"Yeah. She's a tough little cookie though. Always tries her best not to get upset." Kami continued. "Like you, Spirit."

Spirit didn't expect that comment. "Really? I never thought-"

"Yeah. You had a tough time back when you lived with your dad. Your mom passed on your 12th birthday for goodness sake, yet you always shown a brave face and never said anything. And your dodgy dad? That guy was a psycho but you did so well staying brave." Kami explained. She examined the Death Room in thought, watching Marie and Lord Death's pleasant conversation. "Which leads me to this.. The nightmares.. do you still have them?"

"Yeah occassionally. Not gonna worry about it though. It's not worth it." Spirit replied.

"He's in jail for life, right?"

"Yeah. I'm pretty safe... it's been 18 years since he went. Weird how time flies... 13 of them with Maka." Spirit shared a small smile.

Kami returned it.

"I'm glad I got to catch up with you, Spirit."

"Me too."

Although bittersweet, Spirit found the reunion with Kami... oddly pleasant.

Better than planned, actually.