But Things [A Jacob Black Sequel] Are Gonna Change: Chapter 1

I was running through the streets of Forks, slamming my shoulders into people as I tried to pass them, furiously trying to squeak through the large hordes of people. Since when was this place so busy? It seemed like everyone in town was going for a walk, blocking my endless chase to get to my vehicle, attempting to make it back home before my boyfriend could.

            My boyfriend—Jacob Black. Yup, it still hasn’t really sunk in after a year and a bit.

            “Ugh—” I stammered as a big body blocked my way, ramming past them, “get the hell out of my way!”

            I nearly toppled over an old grandmother, who gasped out in her shaky voice, “How rude!”

            Finally reaching a clearing, I called over my shoulder, “Sorry, grams!” And continued to run towards Jacob’s rabbit, fearing he would beat me home.

            I hopped in, viciously turning the ignition; the engine roared to life, and I started off, speeding as soon as I got out of town. I roared down the highway towards La Push, praying outwardly that Jacob was still out with Sam and the boys, doing runs around the land.

            As I pulled up to our house—me and Jacob bought it a couple months ago, together—my heart fell when I saw him walking out of the nearby forest, a grin on his face.

            Damnit. He was so darn beautiful.

            I hopped out of the Rabbit, stuffing my secret—a white box—in my pockets, hoping he wouldn’t be able to smell it or something with his damned werewolf senses.

            “Hey, babe.” He wrapped his arm around my waist, hugging me tightly.

            I leaned my head on his bare chest. “How are things going?”

            Jake made a weird noise. “Meh. Things are all on edge.”

            “Why?”

            His face twisted downwards. “We’re invited to Bella and Edward’s wedding—and, they’ve been planning to change Bells after they get married.” He paused, his expression grim. “It goes against the treaty. We’d have to attack.”

            I frowned, desperate to get inside. “Are you guys done, or should I make some supper for all of you?”

            He glanced back, the raindrops beading on his black hair. “Not done yet. Better make some sandwiches.”

            “Gotcha, babe.” I leaned up on my tip-toes, pressing my lips to his. “I love you.”

            Jake winked at me. “Love you, too, Summer.”

            Trying to act calm, I slowly made my way into the house, watching through the window as Jake ran back to the forest; then, urgently, I ran full speed towards the washroom, slamming the door behind me.