But Things [A Jacob Black Sequel] Are Gonna Change: Chapter 6

“So, what are we? Friends, sex buddies, boyfriend and girlfriend?” I asked, watching Jacob carefully, a little bit of sarcasm in my tone.

            Jacob and I had been walking all day, just talking to each other about random things; we eventually made our way to La Push, and now we were sitting on First Beach, sitting on the large stones.

            I’d been wanting to ask all day what our relationship was, because I wasn’t exactly sure, but I’d been a little too shy and insecure to even try to bring it up. I knew it would get awkward when I brought it up, so I tried to dodge that bullet, but I figured now was the best time because I was so comfortable in his presence.

            Jacob’s face—which was adorable; he reminded me of a puppy—twisted up into a look deep into thought, and bit his lip. “Well…uh, that depends, I guess.”

            I raised an eyebrow, a chill shivering through my spine. “On?”

            He glanced away; I thought, for a second, I saw his face go red. “Depends how you feel. Or, how you think you’ll feel.”

            I drummed my fingers against my chin. “Well, I don’t really know you…” I trailed off.

            Jacob’s face turned hard and cold, and he glanced away; immediately, I felt bad for saying he was a stranger.

            “In a way, I mean.” I paused. “I recognize things about you, you know.”

            His black eyebrows lifted. “You do?”

            I giggled at his shocked expression. “Yeah. Like, I just know things about you. You like cars. I just know that.”

            A crooked smile flashed onto his lips, and I felt myself staring; I immediately looked at the ground, then back to his pretty eyes.

            “What else do you know?”

            I bit my lip, thinking. “Well, uh, you don’t like Edward very much.”

            Jacob snorted, an adorable smile creeping onto his lips. “True.”

            “You like fried chicken.” I continued.

            “Correcto-mundo.”

            I kept going. “You like ‘Can’t Fight This Feeling’ by ‘REO Speedwagon’ even though you think it’s really cheesy.”

            Jacob wrinkled his nose, making a face. “Hm. Kinda wish you didn’t remember that one.”

            And then, it hit me: I didn’t think about the words in my head, I just said them, even if I was stupid and crazy and making this up. Afterwards, I regretted saying it so abruptly, in case I was mistaken.