But Things [A Jacob Black Sequel] Are Gonna Change: Chapter 15

JACOB’S POINT OF VIEW:

            Come on, Jake—make a move.

            Summer was right in front of me, talking, like usual; her lips curled up as she laughed, her blue eyes sparkling.

            I loved her. There was no other way to describe my feelings. I loved the way Summer talked. I love how she’d smile when she blushed. I love how her eyes always surprised me with their brightness. I loved how Summer was funny. I loved how she dressed. I love how her nose wrinkles up when she laughed. I loved her.

            Everything was moving very slowly, like those sappy moments in romance movies when time just freezes, and you see the girl—the girl of the pathetic guys dreams, that girl that makes him so much better, the girl that makes his life worthwhile. All I did was watch her, my eyes unmoving, not straying far enough away to get her out of my sights. Whenever I saw her, whether it was the first time or the eight thousandth time, my heart completely stood still.

            Things may have changed for Summer; she may just want to be friends, she may be in love with someone else, she may hate me with every fibre in her body—but things hadn’t changed for me. Every time I looked at her was like the first time; I still got that rush, that same overwhelming high that lifted me up and made my insides feel fuzzy. Things hadn’t changed since I first met her. Things hadn’t changed since I first saw her.

            Seeing Summer in danger had changed everything. Seeing her being pressed against the side of a building by another guy—another guy with that creepy, sadistic gleam in his eye—gave me shivers. I wasn’t going to let her get in that kind of danger ever again; if she was ever that close to death again, I might just kill myself. I was absolutely terrified that she would get hurt—she was just a weak human, after all—and I couldn’t save her. For now, I was just glad I could literally beat the shit out of that fucking rapist.

            “I’m starving. You wanna make something?” She asked, her voice incredibly beautiful, but blunt at the same time.

            I blinked, a little frozen, amazed I could even be interacting with someone so far out of my league. “Um, yeah, sure. What are we making?”

            Summer frowned, thinking; her nose crinkled to one side, a light smile playing on her lips. “How about pancakes?”

            I was at loss for words, but I somehow managed them. “Pancakes. Awesome.”

            Summer was…beautiful. She was beautiful because she liked to smile; she was beautiful because she wouldn’t try to hurt a fly. She was beautiful because she spent an hour last night stringing Christmas lights in her bedroom, all across the ceiling, managing to have them hanging across the tops of her room by the end of the night. She was beautiful because she made me sit with her, in that lit up Christmas light bedroom until three in the morning, absolutely in awe by the lights, just staring up at them and grinning.

            “Cool!” She hopped up from her spot on the ground, and gave me a hand up—like I needed it. “C’mon, we’ll put chocolate chips in them, and stuff.”

            I gave her my hand anyways, glad to have an excuse to touch her; her skin was cool and soft. I liked the way it was pale, but not white—a nice creamy look.

            Half an hour passed, and by the end of it we were no longer making pancakes—just having a flour fight.

            “Eat this, sucka!” She grabbed the bucket of flour we had in the cupboard and threw it at me; it clouded up in the air, leaving me whiter than sour cream.