But Things [A Jacob Black Sequel} Are Gonna Change: Chapter 11

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hehe, happy holidays, guys! :D Hope you like this chapter... if not, sorry! Haha, well, I'm going to be away from internet access and a computer for a while, so I'm sorry about the lack of updates coming your way. Sorry! Just consider this a late Christmas present--I made it super long for you, too ^_^ . So, please, enjoy, message me with ideas, comment, vote, rate, do whatever you gotta do. Have fun, and have a safe holiday season!

Darkness. Absolute darkness. I couldn’t see anything. I was having a mental breakdown, trapped in this pit of darkness. It was cold; an icy breeze rushed past me, sending my hair flying and giving me goosebumps all the way up my arms.

            My breathing began to pick up, even thought I was standing still; maybe, it was the fear of this dark place. Or, it was the knowledge that I wasn’t alone, suddenly.

            For some reason, I had the nerve to speak out. “I know you’re here.” I called, not really to any direction in particular.

            There was a voice from my left. “I miss you.” The voice was familiar and left a pang of pain in my side; I gasped and clutched at it, hoping it would disappear quickly.

            “Jacob?” I asked. “Is that you?”

            Then, something warm hit me lightly; I felt like I was being thrown, twirling non-stop to me left, over and over again…and then, suddenly, I opened my eyes, half scared to death. My heart was drumming quickly, but slowed as soon as I realized I could see; there was a faint flicker of light to the left of me, but when I glanced over my shoulder, I noticed there was no source of the light.

            Jacob was sitting in front of me; he was donning a black cloak, and it was pulled up over his hair, shadowing his face slightly. I could only see his lips down; his beautiful brown eyes were hidden by the darkness.

            I glanced down; I was sitting on something, yet there was absolutely nothing beneath me. Frightened, I glanced back up to Jacob; his lips were the same, unsmiling.

            My voice was shaky. “Jacob…?”

            He gave one swift, silent nod. “It’s me.”

            I was overwhelmed in emotion; seeing him in person, face-to-face, only seemed to make the pain worse. “Oh, Jacob,” I suddenly burst into tears, “I’m so sorry I did that to you.”

            His expression—er, his lips expression, at least—didn’t change. He didn’t smile, or become less unhappy; he stayed serious. When he spoke, his voice was deep, and unhappy; there was a slight edge of pain.

            “Don’t apologize.”

            I frowned at him through the tears. “Why shouldn’t I? I did something horrible, and—”

            His voice was calmer, more serene, now. “One must learn to not apologize for their actions, but make up for them.”

            I blinked, a little shocked and confused. “So, now your going all fortune cookie on me?”

            “Perhaps there is a lesson to be learnt.”

            I shook my head from side to side. “This isn’t Jacob.” My face twisted up in disgust. “You’re not my Jacob.”

            Then, everything changed; the whole situation seemed completely different, like I was in a different time and place. The darkness lightened, brightened to daylight; the walls disappeared, revealing a field of lush, green grass surrounded by trees and filled with wild flowers. I was no longer sitting on an invisible seat; now, I was on an old tree log. Jacob’s body wisped away, as if he were made of liquid; it swirled midair, then flew back down to his seat—which, now had also become a log—and in his place was a man wearing a white cloak. The cloak covered all of his hair, and left a shadow covering his face; I couldn’t distinguish who it was, but by the voice, I knew it was no longer Jacob.