But Things [A Jacob Black Sequel] Are Gonna Change: Chapter 13

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Sorry for the short chapter...this is just kind of leading into the next part of the plotline... lol. Anyways, happy New Year!

SUMMER’S POINT OF VIEW:

            Levi had returned home a few days after that terrifying night, along with Sam, Edward and Carlisle; they tried to make me understand everything easily, although I didn’t really grasp the concept correctly.

            “But…Levi’s phased before—why did this one hurt so badly?”

            Carlisle replied, his smooth voice calming. “Levi has only phased once before—directly after you gave birth to him—and he was very young; his bones hadn’t taken shape, so it was a painless transition. This time, however, he was nearly matured—how he should have phased, had he not been born a werewolf—and it was like it usually would have been; painful, torturous.” He paused, glancing at Sam. “Of course, I have no experience in this area. Perhaps Sam should continue.”

            My gaze flickered to Sam—god, he looked so much like Jacob.

            Sam’s voice was deeper and darker than Carlisle’s. “The first phase is a traumatic experience.” He glanced down, ducking his head a little, and I could just see the flash of pain across his face at the memories. “The bones all break on the first phase—it’s like you’re falling, uncontrollable…” he winced.

            I frowned, leaning over and patting his hand sympathetically. “It’s okay, Sam. I don’t need to hear the details.”

            He nodded, his black eyes flashing up to mine; he seemed…thankful. “Anyways, I was alone during my first phase—I ran into the woods for about three weeks.” He clapped his hands together lightly. “I thought my phase was bad, but from what I’ve seen, Jake’s and Levi’s were the worst.”

            My heart kind of stopped at the mention of Jacob; I mentally snarled at it. “W-Why…?”

            Sam shrugged. “Levi’s was bad mostly because he’s young, I think.”

            “And Jacob?” My voice was shaky.

            Sam’s brow furrowed at the thought of it. “Jake’s was bad…I think it was a mix of because he’s supposed to be the Alpha—he decided not to pass on it, though—and because his phase was so prolonged.”

            My eyebrows raised. “Prolonged?”

            Edward spoke up, now. “Werewolves will phase if they are…angered, or upset.” He paused, a thoughtful look crossing his face. “Jacob wasn’t angry whatsoever, so he didn’t phase as quickly as he naturally should have.”

            “So, his was…more painful?”

            Sam flinched. “From what has slipped through his mind that I’ve seen, it was pretty bad. Worse than Levi’s. He was absolutely miserable.”

            My heart ached; and I frowned.

            Why was this hurting me so badly? Why was I so bothered by the fact that Jacob had gone through a horrible experience? Why was I so…upset? Maybe, Jake had been right—maybe I couldn’t possibly be just friends with him—I cared for him too much. Maybe, we were meant to be. More than friends.

            “Why? Why was he miserable?”

            Sam scratched the back of his head. “He hated himself. He thinks werewolves are monsters.” His voice fell quieter. “For a while, he was considering killing himself—he just didn’t know how.”