But Things [A Jacob Black Sequel] Are Gonna Change: Chapter 19

JACOB’S POINT OF VIEW:

            I could tell Summer was scared about having these kids. Whenever we went to see Carlisle to take tests or measure their growth or talk about the risks, she got really nervous and wouldn’t leave my side.

            Of course I was glad we were having babies. I mean, who doesn’t love babies? Plus, they’re mine and Summers—there’s no way I couldn’t love these kids. Any kid that was mine and Summer’s was going to be special, no matter what.

            And, no matter what, I knew I had to back Summer up on her decision to have these kids. I couldn’t just go against her, no matter how stupid it was to put your life on the line for two babies, and leave her completely alone in this pregnancy. At first, I was a little freaked out—y’know, the whole keeping the baby thing was a little scary—but, now, after all those meeting with Carlisle and him explaining how little of a chance Summer had of surviving the birth, I was terrified. Maybe, this was a mistake. Maybe, we shouldn’t keep this kids. But, it was way too late for me to bring this up with Summer—she was already completely absorbed in it, already preparing herself emotionally and mentally. I couldn’t just desert her, not now.

            But what happens when the babies drain her of her life? What happens when they tear her to shreds when she’s giving birth, and she dies? Would I be so forgiving, then? I already knew the answer to that question—the second Summer died, I would die. I wouldn’t be able to love the things that killed her, let alone take care of them.

            I didn’t want Summer to die. She was the only thing I had going for me. I needed her.

            But her decision was already made. Which sucked.

            “Jacob! Snap out of it!” Levi called to me, snorting and laughing a little as I finally came back to reality.

            “Huh? Oh.” I blinked, shaking my head a little, then tossing him the football we’d been throwing around. “Uh, sorry.”

            “Whatever.” Levi shrugged. “So—Summer’s having a baby! That’s crazy shit.”

            I liked being around Levi—he seemed to lighten things up, make it seem less serious. Being around Summer made things more real—seeing her with her swollen belly, her face and arms getting skinnier and more bony as the babies grew. Levi was young, but I think that made him who he was; he didn’t take anything serious.

            I smirked, catching the ball as he chucked it back to me, a nice spiral. “Yeah, it’s pretty crazy.”

            “So, when do we find out the gender? I’m crossing my fingers for a sister.”

            “A sister? You don’t want a brother.”

            He grinned a little, and his eyes twinkled. “Naw. I’ve already got a pack full of brothers—and, I figure if we have a sister whose a werewolf, Leah won’t be so crabby.”