But Things [A Jacob Black Sequel] Are Gonna Change: Chapter 9

JACOB’S POINT OF VIEW:

            We’d agreed to talk things through. She promised to explain things to me, a bit more in depth. I was at Billy’s; she was going to get me, and then we were going to walk to the beach and talk about things.

            I just never thought our conversation would end up the way it did.

            “So, you’re confused.” I stated plainly, trying to not show the flashes of pain on my face as easily as I did the day before.

            She blinked a lot. “Yeah.”

            “About what, exactly?”

            “Me.”

            I narrowed my eyes. “You’re really not helping me out any.”

            Summer let out a large sigh. “I don’t feel like myself. My likes and dislikes have completely flipped. I’m doing things I never said I would do. I’m not doing things I wanted to do. I just…I just don’t think I’m me anymore.”

            I blinked once, my face blank. “Oh.”

            “I just feel…old. I mean, I’m eighteen with a baby. I have responsibilities, now. I can’t go out and party. I can’t say bad words around the house. I can’t have fun.” She paused, then glanced up at me. “I don’t feel like me anymore, and I don’t think we feel like us anymore. We don’t joke anymore. We don’t have fun.”

            I knew she was right, but it still stung to hear the words. “So, what should we do?”

            There were tears forming in her eyes. “I don’t know.”

            As a tear crawled down her cheek, I wiped it away with my thumb. “What do you want to do?”

            “Go back in time.” She sobbed, breaking down. “I just want to go back in time before we had that baby. Lived a little bit more first.” She paused. “But that kid is still one of the best things that ever happened to me.”

            I could feel the stabs of pain in my chest, seeing Summer so upset. “Me too.”

            “I just miss the old me.” She whispered. “The old us.”

            I was starting to tear apart, the inside getting ripped to pieces seeing her in tears. “I’m sorry.”

            “For what?” She cried.

            I ducked my head. “Messing this all up. For changing.”